dvd player around £100 - is pioneer 575 the best about

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mystic_bertie, Aug 15, 2005.

1. mystic_bertie

mystic_bertie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi im after a new dvd player, for many months i have been using my xbox which is awful and my pc which is hassle.

im going to but an av amp/reciever too as my sony davs880 system needs replaced but wil cover that in the av amp section.

my tv is a sony 32" KV-32FQ86U which has rgb and svideo inputs.

im looking for a good dvd player around the £100 mark, i know many people highly rate the pioneer dv575, is there anything better around this price or worth considering.

i saw the pioneer 585 for sale at £100 but after a search it seems it is not as good as the 575.

would like it to play dvd-r and dvd+r discs as this is what i will be mostly playing.

2. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In answer to your question - YES !!

Get yourself down to Richer Sounds and get Pioneer DV-575a for £99.99 asap !!

I did just that last week and can't quite believe its as good as it is.
    How good? In a word - stunning !!

It plays almost all the formats plus DivX and - unbelievably - SACD and DVD-A too. It even does PAL/NTSC progressive scan and has component outputs.

They can't be many left - as the inferior 585a has just been released - so don't miss out.

PS: Get a good SCART cable for it too - it deserves one.

3. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Had mine about 8 months now and it is superb, in terms of performance, compatibility, features and of course price! With a QED AV41 scart pictures are sublime! :thumbsup:

4. mystic_bertie

mystic_bertie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks for the feeback guys, after reading more about it i think you are right it is the one to get

will call richersounds glasgow today and reserve one for saturday, cant wait.

5. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    Just thought I would share my thoughts. I did have the 575 and it was good but Ive sold it for a phillips 720 which I prefer.
    Regards

6. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I picked up the 575 from RicherSounds yesterday... not tried it yet but the reviews and feedback on here are what made me go and get it :)

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    My only problem with the 575 is that it's so good I'm sure I'm gonna spend a lot of time and money messing about swapping decks of increasing price before I find a 2nd player which deserves being in the same system...PJ :)

8. nal

nal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can also recommend the vsx-c502 av amp, auto calibrates, mic included and is the same slim profile as the 575.

nal.

9. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think you will be dissapointed. Its a steal at the price !!

A few things i have learnt after fiddling though:

1 Get a good scart lead. (If you dont already of couse).
    The Thor scart is good value imho - and can be purchased from play.com for an amazing £17.99. (Richer Sounds sell it for £30)

2. Take the time to dive into the 575 menu and use the picture tweaking options to set-up the unit properly for your screen - as unlike most players at this price it has some useful advanced picture set-up options.
    (Tip: Turn on the 'BNR')

3. Get some good DVD's (the first Xmen movie looks superb), sit back and prepare to be impressed !!

:thumbsup:

PS: like all good gear it can take a while to 'burn in' to look its very best.

10. maxiboy

maxiboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Media Man, I am not knocking the 575 in any way (I have one and think it is great) but what do you mean by "burn in"? I can understand this with something mechanical like speakers, but a dvd player?

11. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually i was meaning the audio performance of the 575a may need a bit of 'burn in' before sounding its best - especially if you are using the built in decoders - and i will explain why.

Electronics are not so diifferent from mechanical components in that their characteristics will change very slightly over time. This is more pronounced during the classic 'running in' period where all the new components eventually reach their optimum working tolerances.

In audio terms this is most evident in CD Players, Amplifiers and especially (as you mentioned) Speakers. The symptoms can be many and varied but most common complaints are that the sound is cold, bright and a little 'tight' and conjested when new.

This is also the reason good hifi sounds better having been switched on and properly warmed up before it sounds its best.
    I leave the main parts of my system on all the time for this very reason.

Naim (who make my cd player) first explained this to me many years ago - after they themselves had noticed their equipment had shown these symptoms until properly 'run in' - including their CD players.

I'm sure the Pioneer will at least 'sound' better after a few weeks 'running in' - although whether the picture will be affected greatly i doubt - but you never know.

I just wished i had a component input on my TV so could see the 575a at its best. I guess that Plasma purchase is not far away !! :)

12. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ive had the 575 for 6 months ans i can say DO NOT turn on BNR as it completley removes all detail from the picture. just leave it off and put up with a small amount of noise (depending on what dvd your watching of course)

13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    On an 83" screen BNR is great, no loss of detail (detail set to fine) and it takes away so much noise.

Let people try it and judge for themselves, that's what facilities like this are for....PJ :)

14. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - i have to agree that BNR works - just set detail to 'fine' aswell for best results. Cant stand a noisy picture - and BNR works even on a 32" crt.

Horses for courses though. Probably varies depending on what output is used and the type of display.