1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player and Speaker Package for <£1000

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Westy, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Westy

Westy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

First of all Merry Christmas :)

I'm after a dvd & speaker package and have been looking at both Denon and Sony offerings but figured I'd put it to the experts on the forum!

Main critera are:

Multi-region player (preferably without getting chipped)
    Excellent surround sound
    Additional inputs for future compatability
    Play normal cd's/cdr's
    Stylish design (the flat denon speakers looked lovely)

Your views appreciated.

Regards

Westy.

2. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I recently bought the Denon ADV700 integrated amp/tuner/dvd with the NXT flat speaker pakagage- all in for under a grand from www.avland.co.uk This included a software hack for multi-region DVD.

It is very impressive for such a compact solution. The pictures from the RGB feed are exquisite- revealing significantly better colour and detail than my previous Grundig 210a player. It plays all my R1 & R2 dvds, cds and vcds. I understand that it can also play cdr but I have not tried this.

The NXT speakers (made by Mission for Denon) are frankly unbelievable for such slim units- even music is very acceptable. Everyone who's seen/heard it so far has wondered where the speakers are and how they deliver the result on offer. There seem to be plenty of inputs to, eg, connect md or tape decks if one wanted a completely all in home entertainment solution controlled from the TV stand. Only thing I don't seem to have is a co-ax single digital input to connect my Nokia digibox (the Denon's input being optical)- so I make do with L & R analogue outputs for broadcast material.

I guess it might struggle in a genuinely large room but for the average domestic setting I find it hard to see why anyone with the usual pressures not to fill the room with AV equipment would want more. It got great reviews in last month's mags- and IME rightly so. The clinchers for me were Denon's audio pedigree and the fact that none of the rivals- including Sony- offer RGB feed. I do wonder why when RGB makes such a difference to picture quality- you'd think it would be standard- especially on premium brands like Sony. Especially when Sanyo offers it on a £390 budget solution..

Hope this helps.

3. Westy

Westy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Barry,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep you've sold it to me!

I am going to give Avland a call and discuss the warranty with them but that certainly looks like the system for us.

Thanks again.

Westy,

4. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Barry (or anyone else reading this thread!),
    Do you know how the software mods to make the Denon DVD player play all regions is? (is it like the 2800 which involves burning in new firmware via a CDR?).
    AV Land's ad implies that they can do a software mod on the Sony NS900 too - anyone know how that works?

Ta

5. Westy

Westy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I spoke from Avland they said that they have a special cd they put in from Denon. This must update the ROM in the machine. So if you can get the disk it sounds like a simple job to update.

Regards,

Westy