1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player and External DAC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Falp, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi! :)

I'm planning to buy a new DVD Player to be used as my music source for a new system.
    Since playing music in a DVD player even using the AV Receiver's DACs is not the same as a dedicated CD player I'm planning to buy a good used External DAC.

Question: is it worth it? As anybody tried this?

2. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are you planning to also use the dvd player to play video dvds? I have a dvd player (Marantz DV-8400) with an external DAC (Bel Canto DAC2). The problem is that I want the DAC to process two-channel stereo via a digital output for cd playback but would also want to output to my av receiver for movies (otherwise the movie soundtrack would go through the DAC and end up in 2 channels). I don't think this is actually possible, and am looking at a separate cd player to use as a transport.

3. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi Falp,

Head on into the 2channel area on the forums. There you will find quite a bit of information on the very subject! As for me, yes I have an external DAC (a Tag DAC20) being fed from a Pioneer 575, and it sounds good to me!!!!

Cheers

Joust

4. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    That's what I want... plannig to buy a marantz DV6400 or 6500 and use it for movies and musica.

For stereo only using an external DAC and an AVReceiver analogue input Direct Mode.

For surround the usual digital AVReceiver input...

So i'ts worth it?