1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player Advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pgkooijman, Dec 19, 2002.

1. pgkooijman

pgkooijman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Toshiba 52WH18P projection TV and now I have about an Euro 2500 budget for a nice home cinema system (DVD player, sound system, speakers). I am finding it hard to make choices:

- How much of an effect will it have to get a component out DVD player. Will it really be better than the RGB scart that I now use with my XBox?

- Is there a reaonably priced system that has component video out but also support super audio, dts sound and cool audio formats?

- Having trouble finding a good combination of DVD player, DTS/Doby surround amplifier and speakers for about Euro 2500, any advice?

Am pretty much a newbie to this whole thing but a big homecinema fan at the same time. So go gentle with the techno babble... anyone know a good site that has a 'what you need to know about home cinema before spending yo dough'?

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    This will have to be based on rough prices in the UK - may be different from elsewhere in Europe - and taking 2500 Euro as about £1700 in real money;) -

1. Component is almost always better than RGB scart, but probably not much. I would always use component if you can, if only to free up a scart connection.

2. In your price bracket I would look hard at the Pioneer 747(?) - great reviews and will play anything which is flat and 12cm diameter. Has component out. Cost about £600 - £700(?)

3. For speakers I would go for something like the Kef 2500 system for about £700 in the UK - includes sub and great performers. Then you will have enough dosh left for an amp - eg the Denon 1803; or the Marantz 5200; Yamaha 630. There are several really good amps in the £300 to £450 region. Choice may be influenced by whether music or cinema is your priority.

All the major home cinema mags carry guides to how to set things up - and explanations of all the jargon. A couple of them also have recommended set ups at various budget levels.

Almost forgot - leave some money in your budget for cabling. Don't hobble good components with cheap connections - it really does make a difference.

I know all that adds up to more than £1700, but by shopping around you should get the prices down - I've only been able to guess at some of them.

Hope that helps - others will no doubt have other suggestions - at your budget level there's no shortage of choice. Good luck.

3. pgkooijman

pgkooijman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Phil. I will want to use the system almost exclusively for my Home Cinema fun. My thoughts were that if you are going to buy a seperate amp then it might as well be one that can be used for audio as well. Most emphasis will be on DVD however. Does that change your advice? Anybody else have any?

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    No, it reinforces it. I have a Denon 1803 and the Kef speakers and its excellent for HC, but not so great for music (good enough for me, but I can imagine some HiFi buffs would not be happy).