DVD Player - Advice?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by terminaljunkie, May 23, 2004.

1. terminaljunkie

terminaljunkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi,

I am looking to purchase a new DVD player to partner my Sony STR-DB940 AV Receiver, but specifically I would like something that is also able to play CD's (and MP3's) to a pretty good standard - a bit better than a budget player is what I hope to own.

I would also like the usual formats: DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD, MP3, CD-R, CD-RW, VCD, SVCD, JPG and WMA if possible.

Looked at the Toshiba SD330 which is by all accounts an excellent budget player - but it does not allow SVCD to be used.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a player that fit's the bill?
    I have about £200 to spend on the unit, and will be replacing the Sony AV unit within the next year with a DENON 5803 (buying off a friend who is emigrating).

Thanks.

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,092
    Firstly, the Denon 5803 is a US model (UK equivalent of the A1SR), so I'm presuming you have a voltage converter if you intend using it in the UK.

That aside, it's a monster amp and would normally be partnered with more expensive DVD players... especially Denon's own high end players that could make use of the D-Link socket.

However if £200 is your budget, my personal preference would be towards a Pioneer machine. Feature laden and reliable.

3. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I just got a Limit DVD 900se which has been tuned by Cyrus to play CD's and I'm very happy with it :thumbsup:

For £200 you get a good budget DVD which is excellent at playing CD's.

The 800se got 5 stars in the What Hi-Fi tests and it's only £150

Cheers

Stripe