1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD playback problems on MCE

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by dUnKle, May 28, 2005.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    Just in process of building my first real HCPC

Installed MCE for first time last night and have been experimenting - music and photos are great and I am very impressed but movies are different issue

When watching a DVD I have two issues

The first minor one is that there is no highlighted items on the menu - so you dont know what you are going to be doing, not sure if that makes sense, but basically there is no way of knowing which of the menu options are highlighted

The second bigger problem is that the aspect ration on DVDs seems very out - I have calibrated the screen - I have set the ration (im outputting to a 42" plasma) but the screen is just too wide - HUGE black bars and a very thin picture

also on a related issue - can you use theatertek and FFDshow under MCE ? I have heard that these two together can be calibrated to make much better use of a TV - how is this done ?

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    anyone know ?

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    To use theatertek with MCE you need to use the latest version of My Movies and enable the option to launch Theatertek as the default player. You can then have ffdshow post processing enabled to switch on automatically with Theatertek.

What resolution is your plasma, and what resolution are you outputting from your graphics card?

The aspect ratio of film playback can be altered by pressing i and cycling through the three different zoom options. It is also affected by the screen resolution though. I found it best to match the ratio, for example the native resolution of my screen is 852 x 480 (1:775) and I use 1024 x 576 (1:777), these seems to keep everything looking right. Obviously some films have huge black bars at the top and the bottom if they are filmed in a different ratio, so you can zoom it or keep it as it is, I prefer to watch the film in the format that it was intended to be seen.