1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd Playback On Lcd Monitor

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by asimmd, Jun 15, 2005.

1. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi All
    I am still trying to make my mind up between Plasma/LCD,so last night,I decided to try something.
    I have a 17" Widescreen LCD Monitor which runs the PC at 1024/768,so I thought I would play a DVD, in the hope that It would be an indication of the quality of playback on an LCD TV.

The movie was Phantom of the Opera,and what a let down,the picture was far from xtal clear,with the middle third being somewhat blurred,getting better towards the edges.
    The colour was OK,but again,it could have been better,lacked defination.

I know you could say that the monitor is at fault,but everything I use the PC for is fine.Is this not a good way to get an idea of how an LCD TV would perform.

Yes,I will take the film to a shop and try it on both Plasma and LCD,but your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Alan

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Fairly pointless exercise to be honest and it is all down to the monitor itself. For one thing the interpolation of a screen meant for a computer will not be as good as for a screen produced for video, at interpolating video. If the screen is a 6 bit model colours will be less than smooth and if the refresh rate is slow image will blur. Think about it, how useful is driving a mini to see how a Jag would feel. :)

3. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes have to agree with GrahamC i sometimes watch dvd's on my 15" PC LCD and although watchable not a patch on my 32" Tevion (and this tv has come in for a lot of stick for various issues just read the thread) a dedicated LCD TV is what is required for excellent playback.

4. Deku

Deku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interpolation depends on what is actually connected to the LCD. An LCD connected to a PC doesn't need interpolation, since the PC's GFX card will do the scaling to 1024x768 instead (assuming 1024x768 is the native resolution).

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    A DVD isn't 1024x768 so interpolation is in effect whatever happens (fullscreen playback). The point i am trying to make is a dedicated LCD TV will have a tuned/different interpolation for video so forming an opinion on computer LCD/Graphics card for the purchase of a LCD TV is pointless.

6. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Graham
    I understand now why you said it was a pointless exercise,I suppose the same applies whether my Graphics Adapter is £50 or £350.
    My local shop ( a Panasonic dealer) will let me take a DVD and compare LCD/PLASMA, but if I don't know what I'm comparing,how will I know if it's any good.
    Regards
    Alan

7. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    LCD panels for video use are generally faster than those for PC use. The colourspace will also most likely be different too.

8. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    That's easy, does it look any good to you? It never ceases to amaze me why people can't just just realise that if an image looks great/bad in their own eyes then that's in off itself justification for a purchase or not. You have to note how and what is connected to the screen of course but the greatest LCD/Plasma in the world is going to look duff in a Currys show room because it will be the last in the 30 long line of UHF loop-through. In the same vein it's no good looking at a LCD/Plasma connected to a DVD player that's three times your price range.

As your going to a Panny dealer either take the DVD player your going to use with you along with the cables you are going to use or at the very least select a player from the Panny range that is comparable to yours. Also try and view from the distance you will watch at home if you can, one step back can change a smeary blocky mess into something more than watchable. Don't be afraid to use your own judgment. :thumbsup: