1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Playback on a PF9986

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by MarkNorton1, Feb 4, 2005.

1. MarkNorton1

MarkNorton1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Been searching the forums for an answer to this but nothing has helped to clarify it, and my understanding of it all is very limited as it is!!

Basically I hope to be purchasing either the 32" or 37" version of the above for mainly sky digital and dvd use, will also be buying a new multiregion dvd player with dvi output but thats another topic, what im worried about is the type and quality of the output, I was hoping to run dvd's far better than im used to which is just a scart output currantly to a crt, what i didnt want is the black bars either side, im aware of the top and bottom bars, this im used to, just didnt want to be hindered by this and wanting others views i guess?

Any help is much appreciated.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    DVD playback with this TV is amazing. It is a whole extra leap in picture quality over a CRT. You'll have no problems with black bars at the sides until you get to the DVI/DVI direct digital input. When playing back at 720p you do get an 8mm black border all around the screen. It's a minor irritation for about 10 seconds!

Go for it with confidence..

Jimmy

3. MarkNorton1

MarkNorton1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks mate, just needed a boost you know!! What Dvd player you running with chap? Any advice for a non to expensive unit with dvi out, multiregion, and dts and so on and so on!!

4. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark - if you use the DVI input at 576p or 1080i you will get great quality pictures with no side bars. Occasionally the picture may be slightly off-centre when you switch from Scart to DVI, but it can be centred quickly using the TV remote arrow keys (and in fact moved up and down). Only at 720p do you get the bars at the side. With my Denon 1910 into my 37PF9986 using DVI-DVI lead I get excellent results at all settings. In my opinion it is worth spending on a good DVI-DVI lead. After all if you are spending that amount on a TV, why skimp on the leads?
    I recommend Supra (about £40).

5. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should add that my Denon 1910 is Region 2 only - I haven't yet got any Region 1 material.

6. MarkNorton1

MarkNorton1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheers for that, it seems that the Denon is a well used model, I need multi-region as the majority of my collection is american or region 3, but good advice all the same, need to fire up that credit card me thinks!!

7. Vinwa

Vinwa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, very much a newbie at this, so apologies if i'm repeating questions already posted. I have just bought a 37PF9986 and a Denon 1910 connected via DVI. When watching DVD's though I get a top and bottom black border, which letter boxes the screen. My settings on the 1910 are 16:9 @ 1080 - is there a way to get full screen? Also, Alan D mentioned centering the picture on the PF9986, how do you do this? Thanks. Mike

8. Starvald

Starvald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can use the arrow keys on the remote to centre the screen.

Not all dvd's are anamorphic. Those that aren't will still have black borders top and bottom.

Side question: does the 1080i picture look better than the 720p option?

9. Vinwa

Vinwa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Starvald. Its difficult to tell whether picture on 1080i is better or not, both look superb. The only noticeable difference is that there is a black border left and right when using 720p

10. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has to be said it is difficult to judge picture quality between 576p, 720p and 1080i - because the 720p option produces a slightly smaller picture (with a side border) as well as bypassing most of the TVs processing options. I have found both 576p and 1080i excellent - using 576p for older non-widescreen material (produced on film like Star Trek, UFO, Avengers etc) and 1080i for newer movies.

11. MeloManiac

MeloManiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Why does 720p create this border?????

12. colinbarber

colinbarber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To keep the image native, the TV doesn't scale the image to fill the screen. As there is no processing involved the picture quality isn't degraded.

13. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A little maths gives the answer:
    The LCD panel is 1366 wide by 768 pixels high. A "720p" picture is 1280 pixels wide by 720 pixels high. So, if you display the picture "unscaled" (or "native") you get 86 pixels left over at the sides ie 43 each side with 48 pixels left over top and bottom (24 at the top and 24 at the bottom). Hence a border all around. Any TV that fills the screen with 720p is "scaling up" (or "enlarging") the picture.
    576p and 1080i pictures are scaled to 768 to fill the screen, but Philips have opted to give us a "native" unscaled picture at 720p - other manufacturers have chosen to scale.

14. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Other manufacturers like Loewe, Sharp have given the customer the option to scale not. I like having the option to decide on 1:1 pixel matched or a larger slightly scaled picture. I much prefer the extra real estate that upscaling gives. Yes, 720 1:1 matched is better than 1080i downscaled and 720p upscaled but only if you are concentrating hard on PQ at about 6" from the screen - I would rather get more enjoyment from the film with the noticably larger scaled picture. I am however not a fan of 1080i and can tell the difference between 1080i and 720p even at normal viewing distance but this may be that my DVD player makes a better job of deinterlacing the picture than my screen does.

It would have been nice for Philips to have given the option to their customers as I am sure that if it was available, you all would be watching in 720p upscaled.

15. MeloManiac

MeloManiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    OK I thought it might be those extra 90 pixels or so. But... if 1366x768 is the "correct" way of showing 16:9, does this mean that a DVD played back as 720p (1280x720) is actually slightly squeezed -- i.e. the picture format is incorrect?? OR does it leave a little space in top and bottom as well, the difference between 768 and 720 pixels?

16. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,336
    Yes.

Look at Alan D's post above. AFAIK that explains it perfectly.