1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Playback - No sound

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Fast Jon, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Fast Jon

Fast Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am hoping some of you clever people can suggest what my problems might be.
    P3 866, Win 2k Pro, SoundMax integrated audio, NVidia Riva TNT2 64, BenQ DW1620. Yes, an old-ish system.

1. Put an audio CD in the BenQ, plays fine in Media Player 9. Put a DVD in the BenQ, system tells me 'audio device/driver is not working' (using Windows DVD Player). Video is fine but no sound.
    2. WMP 9 does not offer DVD playback options even though I do seem to have a DVD decoder present, according to Nero.

I'm thinking if CD music playback is OK there can't be too much wrong with the audio. (I have also tried Media Player Classic, but it crashes when I try to play the DVD).
    TIA

2. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Have your tried Nero Media Player. You really need all the codecs for DVD and the Audio and Video are separate. So for example you might need to purchase an enhanced version of a free player to get dolby sound. The other thing to try is making sure you select stereo rather than surround sound to test if its a codec problem.

3. Fast Jon

Fast Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:
    Just by way of an update I have
    - Installed latest version of DirectX
    - Installed latest sound drivers
    - Installed latest graphics drivers
    No joy.
    Perhaps my DVD burning software (Nero Express 6, bundled with the BenQ, no player included) installed a decoder incompatible with Win2k SP4. Next thing to try is some new DVD playback software.
    In the meantime, if anyone has any other ideas...

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's very unlikely a codec would be incompatible .. to be honest I'm baffled as to how you've managed to get a video codec without an audio one, and where it may have come from because AFAIK Nero doesn't ship with codecs at all. :confused:

5. Fast Jon

Fast Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm posting this as it may help others who have had similar problems.
    1. Tried Media Player Classic again. It didn't crash but the video was garbled. I did get sound, however :smashin:
    2. I discovered that Windows media player was also garbling the video on WMV files, which it had never done before :rolleyes:
    3. After a lot of p1551ng about, and more by luck than judgement, I found that reducing hardware acceleration to #3 fixed the video problem :smashin:
    4. I installed another graphics driver update, this time from the NVidia site (previous update was from Microsoft) after which I was able to restore full hardware acceleration :smashin:

I'm still getting the same message when I start Windows DVD Player, but I can now play back DVDs with MP Classic. The sound is a bit choppy, so sorting that out is my next project.

I suppose what this tells me is
    - Make sure you have the latest drivers for all hardware
    - Hardware acceleration settings can have a dramatic effect on video
    - MS DVD Player is crepe

If any of this helps someone else I will be very happy.

6. rmask

rmask

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  7. Fast Jon

Fast Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10