DVD playback - audio/video probs + choice of DVD player

dave48

Established Member
Reaction score
My version 1 HCPC is coming along ok - audio reproduction of wav files is excellent.

I'm having probs with DVD playback though:

- in PowerDVD the playback is normally smooth, however sometimes it suddenly starts playing at high speed, as though I had clicked the x4 button. According to the PowerDVD application it is still playing at x1 speed. It is not obvious how to stop it doing this once it has started other than by stopping and restarting the whole application (although this doesn't always cure the problem either). All I hear are some clicks via audio.

- PowerDVD playback of .wav files is excellent - however audio playback of DVDs (just stereo or Dolby Headphone at the moment) have suddenly started getting a load of clicks and pops - sounds like a vinyl record that has been left with its cover off for the last 6 months

- WinDVD 4.0 demo has the same DVD playback problem with audio.

- my DVD player seems to make a lot of whirring noises as though it is running at max speed the whole time

- audio playback with Windows Media Player and Siren are excellent

Where am I going wrong?

Athlon 1333 C / Epox 8k7a+ / 256 MB DDRAM
DVD player LG DRD8120B
EgoSys Wamirack 2496 Pro sound card [sounds stunning with .wav!]
GeForce2 Pro 64 MB graphic card to PC monitor

Help!

Dave48

Originally posted by dave48
I'm having probs with DVD playback though:

- my DVD player seems to make a lot of whirring noises as though it is running at max speed the whole time

Where am I going wrong?

DVD player LG DRD8120B

I had the exact same LG Drive with the same problems you describe. You need to buy another DVD Drive unit.:(

I got a Pioneer 106S (latest model as recommended by one of the moderator's on this forum) it works like a dream. I get flawless playback and no stuttering or glitches of any kind. :D

So with your Pioneer you don't get any of these problems? I bought the LG at the time because it was recommended as being such a good player ... but if by swapping the DVD drive I can get stable performance & behaviour, then I'll have to get the credit card out again ....

Can you use DVDIdle or something similar to run the drive at 1x - i.e. so that it runs more slowly and doesn't sound like a hovercraft / vacuum cleaner?

Dave48

Originally posted by dave48
So with your Pioneer you don't get any of these problems?

Can you use DVDIdle or something similar to run the drive at 1x - i.e. so that it runs more slowly and doesn't sound like a hovercraft / vacuum cleaner?

Correct it is flawless and very low noise decibels wise. DVD Idle does not seem to like the LG drive as I found the picture broke up even when set to a 9GB HD Cache.

Can you get round the region 1 / 2 / xx issues easily with this player? I believe the LG player has a firmware update - which I admittedly never applied.

Last question - does this drive have a slot in which you stick the DVD rather than a drawer that slides out? If so, does this work ok in practice?

Dave48

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom