1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD > Plasma via Component : Please Help !

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MontyUK, Jan 31, 2003.

1. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connected my new Panny plasma up today to NTL Digital via JS Box and DVD player via component.

I have a strange problem with the DVD though . . . every so often it seems to loose the signal temporarily. Now the strange part is the cable is definitely connected firmly at both ends, and it only 'seems' to happen with lots of white / brightness in the picture. I'll get 'No signal' for a second or two, then the picture will return, seemingly when there's less white to display ??!!

I'm Using a cheapish Cyberhome DVD player at the mo (Philips 963 not arrived yet), but it does have component out, and I'm connecting it using a 5 foot custom made cable from bluejeanscable (Belden coax, Canare gold-plated RCA plugs). My questions are;

1) Could the DVD player somehow not be outputting component properly ?

2) Is the cable most likely to be at fault, even though the picture is ok 95% of the time ? Unfortunately I don't have another component video cable that I can try

I've tried connecting the player via SVideo, and the problem goes away (although so does picture quality, obviously). Is the 'white on screen' a red-herring, or has anyone come across this kind of problem before ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

2. eAvatar

eAvatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if it helps, but I understand that plasmas can be quite demanding when it comes to input signal strength, especially synch signals (though this was metioned with VGA input it may also apply to component ). Since a full white screen requires the highest voltage level, it suggests that perhaps your input voltage is being clipped somewhere, leading to a loss of synch signal, and hence the plasma loosing the picture for a few seconds. I would suggest trying out different component cables, perhaps a store would let you return them if they didn't work? Otherwise I would suspect the DVD player of not outputing a high enough max voltage on its component outputs. This "should" be fixed by the 963.

Anybody else feel free to correct me!

Cheers, Steve.

3. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response Steve . . . obviously I'm hoping the issue is with the Cyberhome player (to be quite honest I was amazed to find component video out on the player at all), can anyone else shed any more light, or corroborate Steve's comments at all ?

If not, I'll probably end up buying some component cables from RS on the basis I can return them within 7 days at no charge etc.

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe when you do have a few seconds of picture you could widen the clamp position but you do need a signal to do this
    hope it helps

might be a long shot but you could plug the dvd player into another tv just to check its set to component

5. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD player is set correctly to output component, as I say it works 95% of the way through a movie, only brief moments of 'brightness' where it loses the signal.

Not sure what you mean by the 'clamps', if you're talking about how the RCA plugs are fitted, all six seem very secure to be honest, no give or movement.

Thanks for the response though.

6. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no i mean clamp the signal in the component setup menu when you have a signal

7. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    erm, ok, I have no idea how to do that . . . is it detailed in the instruction manual ? If so I'll have a read when I get a minute . . .