1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Piracy

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by slowen, Feb 11, 2005.

1. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick thread regarding DVD piracy as I have noticed then when DVD piracy gets mentioned in the forums there are some people for it and then a lot of people are against it as they are so passionate in what they say ~ I bet someone starts moaning anythime soon.

The thing I dont like about DVD releases is when you get a standard DVD also a double DVD and a couple of months later the dog's :censored:'s DVD version that contains all the original features plus more. Why not release the best DVD release in the first place instead of making money by releasing multiple versions.

You dont get the same feeling buying a pirate DVD as you get buying an original, i.e the packaging and overall quality of the DVD and to be proud to have it in your collection. I don't bother going the cinema that much as I will punch someone one day as there is always at least one idiot throwing popcorn, talking and mobiles ringing it just ruins the experience.

As a lot of pirates are filmed in the back of the cinema with grainy pictures, distorted sound and people's heads popping up it just ruins the viewing pleasure and may put you off purchasing when it's released on DVD. It's amazing to see when I go the market I have a look to see what the pirates are selling and you see some people with 5-10 DVD's and you just know the majority of the copies are cr@p and un-watchable and you have just given your hard earned cash away unless it is state benefits then you are giving my contributions away.

I know it is against the law but each to their own as surely someone has broken a law once in their life.

Soemone was saying in another thread that it is ilegal to backup your DVD's, I thought as long as you own the original you were aloud to backup in case the original got damaged.

I know I will probably get peole going into one at me but this is a forum and if everyone agreed with everything that was said it would be boring

BEFORE ANYONE GOES INTO ONE I DONT SUPPORT PIRACY

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    You've answered your own question. making money
    No, it isn't legal.

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,176
    That is what the BBFC would like you to think but the truth is only a small amount of pirate films are like you described. Alot of releases are telesyncs which usually involve a digital camcorder on a tripod in an empty cinema with audio taken directly from the hard of hearing outputs and these can be of very high quality, then you get telecines which are taken directly from the film reel so can be almost DVD quality and then you get DVD Screeners which are DVD Quality with sometimes Dolby 5.1

When pirate copies of films are available at these levels of quality it is not really suprising some people will hand over £5 but like you said, each to their own, if someone thinks there is nothing wrong with it then no one will change their mind but just so you know I dont condone piracy either but I can understand why some people are attracted to it.

4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    The only pre-release bootleg I've ever seen (Kill Bill 2 - it was sent to me as a gift from someone in China) was exactly as FACT (etc) describe - camcorder at the back of a cinema - in fact you can hear the whirring of the projector throughout.

Other bootlegs I've seen (from the same source) have been post-release copies, and they are just that - copies - virtually indistinguishable from the real thing, perhaps with the loss of some soundtrack options or extras.

I still wouldn't buy any, though.

5. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure? I'm fairly certain that they want you to believe it's illegal to make a back-up copy for personal use. I'm also reasonably certain I read in a computer magazine that under existing UK laws you are entitled to make one back-up copy for personal use. I can't remember much about the article needless to say whether it is legal or not, it should be.

Personally I can't see why anybody would want a pirate copy of a DVD? I can barely stand having a few second-hand DVDs in my collection even though there is nothing wrong with them, I guess it's just a little snobbery on my part .

I don't and never intend to own any pirated DVDs or I haven't made any back-up copies for personal use or otherwise.

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    US law lets you make 1 backup
    UK law allows you to copy nothing

Piracy would go away almost overnight if movie distributors released movies worldwide at the same time. Then released the DVds worldwide at the same time, and the same price. Production costs are very small for dvds, far less than printing a paperback or recording an audio cassette. Why does a dvd in the UK cost me £14.99 and the same DVD posted from US/Canada cost me £6.99. We live in rip off Britain, so shouldn't we be allowed to rip them off a little in return.

7. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    i agree with pjclark1. dvd prices here are far too high. I order a lot of non region 2 dvds for that reason. If dvds here where the same price as US piracy would drop dramatically. On the copying your own DVds front, I do it because i cant suffer the stupid copy protection warnings on my films. Why should it take me 60 seconds to get into a dvd? Its pathetic. Ive watched Predator about 15 times (sad i know) but with my copy i just put it in and im straight into the movie!

8. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That :censored: me off I dont mind as much when you can skip all copy protection warnings and get into the film but when you cannot skip them and have to sit through the warnings ~ BORING

Just got dodgeball on R2 and it has a big piracy advert at the start of the movie I just think it is pointless to have all these ion the movie (required by law?) as people know it is ilegal but a stupid advert is not going to stop the problem of piracy, just look at the speeding adverts that does not stop the fact that people people will still speed as they dont think oh I seen an advert not to speed so I better not.

The big market where I live is mainly full of pirate DVDV/CD's counterfit designer clothes etc it is just an easy way to make money as the people that run the markets surely know what is going on and probably get a back hand from the sellers

9. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    slightly flawed argument, as a dvd from the us or canada may cost £7 but that's because the £ is very strong at the moment. If you lived in the US or Canada, $30 wouldn't be quite as cheap. And the prices you pay on play.com or similar are cheaper than stores on the high street because they come from Jersey or western europe where there's no VAT, so again they can't be judged against high street prices.

10. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Yes. Quite sure.
    Computer software - yes. DVD and CD (etc) - no.

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

PJClarke wrote: "We live in rip off Britain, so shouldn't we be allowed to rip them off a little in return."

Umm, the simple answer to that, is a definite "No!".

Just because something is expensive in this country, does not give you or anyone else the right to openly break the law! :mad: There are plenty of legitimate ways of obtaining cheap DVD's and CD's, so why not just stick to them?!

Isn't that one of the many reasons why so many of us have invested in multi-region DVD players, in the first place?!

Pooch

P.S. FWIW, Piracy is theft! If you pirate DVD's in any way, shape or form, or download films from P2P networks, or if you buy pirated discs, then you deserve to be labelled by other people as a thief! If you don't like that, don't buy pirated discs! The lesson is simple! :lesson:

12. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I often download movies (only quality DVD Screeners etc) to watch and more than often buy the movie once its released and in fact i have bought many films i would of otherwise not of heard of and prob never bought, i dont mind been labelled a thief as long as my conscience is clear and i carry on buying DVDs then people can call me what they like makes no difference to me :)

13. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    I consider myself a true fan of films and dvd's and would never entertain the thought of having a non official, sub standard product in my collection it just wouldn't sit well. It's not a case of morals (I download all my music) or giving the film companies there due, more of it's the only way to get the best package - and when I say package I mean the film, the correct soundtracks, subtitled, extras (of which I watch everything) and even the box!.

In my time I have never owned a pirate film but must have been asked to buy them, or had stupid lists of films shoved in my face numerous times. People just can't understand how I can like films so much, yet refuse to buy copies?!? Damn morons. I have watched a total of three pirate copies in my time, two were filmed in the cinema - hence terrible and the third kept skipping and freezing before finally dying before the film ended.

14. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Oh and the third one (Episode II) claimed it was 5.1 on the back yet refused to work at all with my speaker system. Tried every audio format available on my surround sound but nothing accepted it, not even crappy mono. Had to use the speakers on my tele!.

15. AVConsumer

AVConsumer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made a grievous error when I downloaded an "avi" version of "Napoleon Dynamite" off a peer to peer gnutella network(Bear share). It was only temporary until I could afford to buy the DVD. Anyway, I was disappointed when I discovered that it was captured from a digital camera, in a theater or a classroom. I noticed the acoustics in the sound quality and laughing in the foreground from a member of the audience. I could tell it was obviously bootlegged!

16. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i got the same thing off bittorrent and it's a divx of the dvd so you can barely tell the difference. havent got around to watching it, doesnt seem like my sort of movie, only got it cos a friend said it was funny, but ive watched a few clips and it doesnt seem funny.

17. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i know loads of people that do pirate copies of DVDs, they are everywhere where i live. To be honest i think that it is really starting to hurt the trade. when i work PT at blockies on a friday the amount of customers we have in are pitiful compered to what we used to have. i will grant you that the growth on online DVD rental may be keeping people out of the store but in my experiance many people i've spoken too dont like online rental (long waiting times, incorrect titles etc). I've even had people try to TRADE priate films in the shop - peoplwe that are convinced what they have is legit!! :eek: :rotfl:

Gary

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    I've only ever seen one pirate. A mate lent me a DVD which looked like the original to me, it had the colour print on the DVD and it was only when I stuck the disc in and the sound was out of synch by about a second that I phoned him up to ask where he bought it. The reply was that it's not available yet and then I twigged that someone must have downloaded something (not him, someone he works with). I gave him the DVD back straight away saying that I wasn't interested watching such poor quality. Every time he asked if I wanted to borrow a DVD after that, I asked if it was a "real one" and if the answer was no I wouldn't borrow it. He's eventually come to the same conclusion as me, he might as well wait for the proper version coming out and then watch it at proper quality. I just kept saying to him that I wasn't going to spend all this money on the DVD player and AV Amp just to watch crap like this !
    Some people seem to take great pleasure in having the DVD before it's come out for some reason and so keep downloading this stuff.

19. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What alot of people on here seem to be saying is how they borrowed a pirate copy saw how bad it was and then seem to think there all like that.

The fact is if you know what your doing you can download DVD quality releases of alot of the latest movies in DVD Screener form i would NEVER buy or borrow a pirate DVD as you dont know what your getting probably crap, if you download for yourself you know to only get the perfect releases no crap, either RETAIL dvds weeks/months before release or a DVD screener months before release.

I have never watched a CAM or TS ever and would never watch one either as there pathetic but i do sample films if there perfect.

20. Ger

Ger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    One thing to add to the whole "DVD Backup" thing. Sony have apparently developed a new copy protection method for their DVDs. Disks with this (Resident Evil 2 is the first disk to get it, so I am surprised that anyone noticed!!) cannot be ripped with the usual ripping software readily available on the net.

However, it seems that there are methods/new software out there already to get past it. It makes you wonder why they (ie. the film cpompanies) bother. Any copy protection system they develope will inevitably be bypassed. The internet provides the perfect place for people to get together share experiences and develope a method. The film companies will need to take a different approach. I am not sure what this should be, but putting a bit more faith into the consumer would be a start.

21. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have watched four pirate DVDs, Three were screeners and one (The Incredible hulk) was a very poor quality pre-production version with half of the special effects still not complete, an experiance I would not want to repeat. Out of the four, I bought two when they were released and the other two I would have never bothered with anyway.
    I also have a friend who down loads movies for his son but always buys the original when it is released.
    I feel that in some cases it opens up the movie to an audience who may have never seen the movie in the first place if they had to pay.
    Also I am sure that most DVD/Movie fans even if they have seen a copy would still prefer to experience the movie at the cinema and own the original DVD...I know I would.

22. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You have no idea about how common video piracy is unless you have been to Asia. :thumbsdow

23. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,176
    I think it took all of 2 weeks for a new version of DVD Decrypter (most commen dvd ripping software) to be released which can bypass the new Sony copy protection, was a good try on their behalf but I dont think any copy protection system is going to protect DVD anymore but does anyone know what HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will be using?

24. zenki200

zenki200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot see the point of buying pirates when the reasons most of us use this forum are that we love movies and love to watch and listen to our movies in the best possible formats and quality.
    I have watched several pirates recently and all were shockingly terrible quality. All were recent UK cinema releases and most were seemingly filmed in the movie theatre by a chimp with a camera he could not use if his life depended on it. One missed a large portion of the left screen and none of them had good sound let alone :dd: or :dts: as advertised on the covers. The going rate for these discs seems to be around £5, so why would you pay that when you can wait 1-2 months and get a genuine copy for a couple more pounds when it comes out on R1 or R3??
    I agree that we seem to get a raw real with DVD prices but that is something that won't change over night and will definately not be solved by DVD piracy which will have the opposite effect on prices.

25. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    its generally only the crap blockbuster films that will be hurt anyway so who cares? they make enough money from them anyway

26. norman1

norman1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let Him Who Has Not Sinned Cast The First Stone !!!!!!!who Is Going To Throw O Paragons Of Virtue ...

27. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,176
    Does anyone have any info on what is and isnt legal regarding backing up as someone has said it is legal for you to makes backups of dvds/games that you own but I thought the only thing you were legally allowed to backup was computer software.

28. pmwhelan

pmwhelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
  29. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find it funny that they say the new protection will make DVDs uncopyable

Now theres no doubt it will when the first DVDs are released with it DVD Decrypter etc wont copy them, but it wont take long foir them to update there software with ways around it, its all marketing rubbish

30. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I don't agree with that, if you look at what has happened with Music CDs (which were effected by "P2P" piracy sooner than Movies) they improved the offering and prices have effectivley dropped. Look at how many big name albums now come with a bonus disk of remixes or videos - and often this is the copy protected (what a joke music CD copy protection is) version of the album.