1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD picture quality.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by lovemovies, Apr 25, 2004.

1. lovemovies

lovemovies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Iv'e watched films on DVD for about four years now. Iv'e had a progressive scan player and plasma screen for over a year, so i'm used to good quality picture etc. But lately I bought a couple of titles that just blew me away when it came to picture quality. Kill Bill R1 being one, and Ghosts of the Abyss R1 being the other. They don't have any special labeling on the sleave, so I was just wondering whether the studios are getting better at encoding all of a sudden?

But on the other hand my R1 copy of Master and Commander has artefacts whenever there is sky in the shot, plus fog and dust.

Anyone know if i'm right, or am I imagining it?

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    Kill Bill R1 is good, but not groundbreaking. Think I gave it a 9 in my review. Agree with you on M+C though (though I have the R2 copy), so many reviews seem to omit the plainly visible problems with artefacts on that print...

3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the years progress the picture quality on DVD has improved, encoding techniques are improving all the time. I have the Region 2 version of Kill Bill and I must admit the picture quality is superb. The film itself is somehow much more enjoyable and involving when watching with good picture quality, personally I can't wait for the HD pictures we will get with Blu-Ray DVD.

4. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I have a feeling Kill Bill looks good because it has had nothing done to the picture to 'improve' it.