1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD -> Panasonic W7 via Component->VGA cable?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mr Ess, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    A frient of mine is an installation engineer for multi room AV equipment company and has said that he would help me with my new wall mounted Panasonic W7 when it arrives (handy guy to know).

I was about to buy the screen with a free scart card (for Sky+) and then buy the component card and a JS RGB->Component converter as everyone talks highly about on this forum.

He then tells me that he is going to make up a lead that has a VGA 15pin connector on one end and component connectors on the other one. That way the DVD will run through the VGA connection on the plasma and he says that you can tell the screen setup to see component on the VGA.

Is this a good solution. It will certainely save me a lot of money but will I be compromising on picture quality? :confused:

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The PW7 doesnt accept a component signal via the VGA port. The PW6 does, but this feature has been discontinued on the PW7.

So get a RGB to VGA convertor and connect sky to this and the then VGA port on the plasma, and get the component board with the plamsa and connect your DVD player via that

3. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Ahhhh.... thanks for that. He did say that he hasn't come across the PW7 yet but has installed loads of PW6's.

I have also just purchased a 3805 amp so maybe this can help with the component connections. If I get a component card and a JS RGB->Component converter then I assume this is the best quality I can get (although its £300 more than the VGA route)? I'd be connecting the Sky+ through the JS converter to the component in on the amp and the DVD using component into the Amp. To save £145 on the JS, could I just use the free scart card to connect (I've been reading about "soft images" using RGB scart)? Is it really that much different?

4. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The 3805 will upconvert to component, although im not sure on the inputs available, so in theory you could do away with the JS tech convertor, but from memory the general concensus on here would be to convert the likes of sky using the JS tech to component and then feed that to the amp. Im sure someone with all the info to hand will be able to confirm or deny this.

If you did this maybe you could save a few £££'s by getting the 2805, but ive no idea if there would be any permformance loss in sound or video by 'downgrading' Someone with a 2/3805 should be able to assist :)

As for the scart board, your right in saying the general opinion is 'soft images' although some people say its fine, id try and see one in action if you can, compare it to the likes of the JS tech input

5. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I put this to my install friend and he said that he would be sure it would accept a component signal via the VGA as he thinks they are electronically identical screens.

It had me wondering so I phoned Panasonic and asked a tech engineer (who was just about to go out and install 2 PW7's this afternoon). He said (and confirmed with a collegue) that there is no change to the configuration of the VGA ports and they would accept a component signal just like a PW6.

Now I'm confused. I think I'll have to go into a showroom and play with the remote on the PW7 to see if the setting is still available.

Anyone here with a PW7 kind enough to have a look in the setup screens to see the configuration screen of the VGA port to see if component option is still there?

6. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Leigh 1973 is correct when he says the PW7 doesn't accept a component signal via the integral VGA port on the plasma. If you add a PC terminal board you can, however, configure this for component signals.

Regards

Alastair :hiya: