1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Pacific - the worst R1 exporter still trading?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Lebowski, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Lebowski

Lebowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On top of their security breaches on the credit card front lately, I've had repeated problems with the quality of their packaging and customer services lately.

I've been using them for a while, but whenever I ordered something with a cardboard cover it never made it undamaged. They replaced the boxes, but even after requesting better protection specifically for replacements they didn't bother and I ended up having to get replacements for replacements until I got sick of sending them back.

Another thing was I recently got stuck with a custom charge from them. When I started buying from them, they emailed me to assure me that all future orders would be marked low. I realise they didn't have a choice in changing this, but they never bothered to tell me before I got stuck with a bill for an order I could have easily split if I'd known.

The worst thing was when I emailed them to complain and see why they never bothered to keep me informed of changes that would affect my orders and a couple of other problems I had with them, they weren't interested in the slightest and fobbed me off with a response that seemed like they hadn't read past the first line. I resent the complaint saying I wasn't happy with the response and that most of my complaint had been ignored and just got a similar reply.

They have good prices, but not enough to compensate for damages, bad packaging, wrong discs being sent out, security breaches and bad customer service. I've had faulty discs too, but that's the only thing outwith their control.

Anyone want to name and shame some other companies that are still in the game? Also, recommendations for other R1 dealers would be appreciated. I use DVD Maybeinawhile already, I would be interested in views on DVD Import and North American DVD especially.

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've only placed one order with them for 2 DVDs but there were no problems. Delivery time was decent, under 2 weeks IIRC and the packaging was fine. Then again they were two amarys so damage would have been difficult.

3. Lebowski

Lebowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah the amarays always come through OK, snapper cases often had marked covers and box sets always came bashed. Taking all that into account they were fine for months with me and I was a good customer, but then it all went wrong and they weren't interested. I got the impression they are too busy dealing with all the complaints they must have been getting about them letting people's credit card details get taken to bother with anything else.

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Moving to DVDTalk...

Personally I haven't had any problems with them - I have only ever ordered one box set from them (Whicker Man pine box) which came perfectly wrapped in a large box with lots of padding...

After the fiasco with the credit cards though I can't really see myself being tempted to use them again any time soon.

I think they need to do something big to win customers back - I reckon a few half price bargains should do the trick :smashin:

5. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241

Ordered with a them a few times and found them to be very fast when it comes to delivery,Never more than a week.I did get stung via the online fraud fiasco a few weeks back.And because of this and ONLY this I wont order from them again for a longggggggggggggg time! :nono:

6. Lebowski

Lebowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sorry, got the wrong forum by mistake :rolleyes: Thanks for moving it.

:offtopic: I got that Whicker Man myself, best box I've yet seen (though the Repo Man tin is pretty nice too).

7. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    As for Customs its been VERY well known for over 6 months that dvdpacific have had to list the correct prices on the packages - they recieved a warning from HM customs - mainly because of Idiots on forums Broadcasting the fact they put false prices on the parcels - HM customs do have internet access :D So i cant see why you are moaning about that.
    Never had any problems with there packaging - all my Box sets and normal dvds come through fine - Maybe you should start asking your postie to stop playing footie with your parcels.
    I will be ordering from them again once i'am sure there secruity has been sorted. Theres no other etailer thats as good as them that also stocks the wide variety of titles i like. Dvdsoon are appallingly slow. Theres no other etailer i can think of??

8. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have used North American DVD, and I always feel a little insecure, because their site is so sparse and unprofessional looking. Also, there is no indication of shipping costs at the point of sale. You don't find that out until the charge appears on your card. As I said, I have placed orders with them in the past, and these have arrived OK, but they are not one of my preferred retailers.

I have also used DVD Import, who often outprice even DVD Soon, but shipping and delivery is quite slow, in my experience.

9. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    never had problems with pacific myself, customer service has always been top notch and orders have always been received in perfect condition. I'm as wary as the next guy about using them at the moment, but once everything's settled with the cc fraud business I'll be sending my business back their way. The only etailer I've found with better customer service is amazon.

10. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    DVD Pacific

What a great little company.

Don't make the mistake of blaming them for customs charges.

11. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Nothing but top-class service from DVD Pacific here. Two months ago we've had a package lost, but very recently (yesterday) they emailed us back saying it had turned up with them (probably USPS or Royal Mail screwing up and returning to sender) and asked us if we wanted it refunded.

12. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't really comment on the service if something goes wrong, but over a span of one year with numerous orders, i have not had a single complaint,
    now the security issue was a little worrying, but i think they've sorted that and i also think that can happen to every other etailer.

13. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I’ve only ever ordered once from DVD Pacific just recently, (Alien Quadrilogy)

I received my email of dispatch on the 16th of this month using surface post, which can take up 20 days to get to me. I have since found out that Airmail is most preferred by others on this site.

At this moment in time I shall not be using them again until the security measures regarding credit cards and personal details are updated.

I usually use CDwow, Movietyme and DVDsoon as my principle e-tailers and as such I have never had any problems with any of these companies.
    :thumbsup:

14. AlanL

AlanL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once I discovered DVD Pacific's customs loophole, I used them a lot for ordering TV box sets during the second half of last year and never had a problem. However, since they were threatened by customs, I've had to be more selective. They have too many items priced around $34.99 at the moment, which is over the £18 limit, and when you add in their shipping charges, it makes DVD Soon look a lot more attractive if you're not in a hurry for the item. North American DVD is another possibility, but I share Simon's reservations about them. Basically, if PlayUSA have what I want for under £18, I will use them, and will probably have it in 2-3 days.

15. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just to back up what's been said about DVD Pacific, I have never had a problem with their products, delivery times, or customer service, and have used them on many occasions, prior to the security glitch. I will probably use them again, once the security issue has died down, but I did wonder if perhaps they, and other etailers, had cut corners on security, which, I understand, can be bloody expensive, in order to keep prices down.

16. Lebowski

Lebowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, there's a couple of things I should add in response to some of your comments.

I think I must have been the last person to find out about them stopping under declaring by the sounds of it, but I don't know how widely known it was. I'm new to these forums, but I'm pretty sure there's never been a mention of it at empireonline's DVD forum (part of the reason I'm ****** off is because I gave them some really good recommendations there before things went wrong for me).
    I still think as a bit of good customer relations they could have sent an email out to customers they had an understanding with to tell them things had changed though. Remember I wasn't taking anything for granted, they had emailed me to specifically say customs wouldn't be a problem at that time or in the future. Saying that, I had a similar email from DVD Soon and I think I'm about to get a bill for the Scorsese box.

The packaging thing doesn't seem to be a problem with my postie, I get everything else OK. I think I see the difference between me and a lot of you though, I hadn't been using airmail. For example, they had a great deal on Buffy seasons 1 - 4 and the outer boxes weren't in good shape. One was really bad, and they just getting me to send it back and replacing it with ones that got there in no better state until I got one that was slightly better and quit while I was ahead. I asked for some better packaging to be used to replace them after the second time and just got the standard.
    Maybe the packaging is OK for airmail, but I wouldn't advise anyone to use the cheaper option for anything other than amarays. Shouldn't they just add a little bubble wrap if they know that those orders are arriving damaged though?

I've probably been a bit hard on their customer services, they have been OK for most things up till now. It may well be down to one, maybe two blokes their who have been less than helpful. It's usually been women there I've dealt with before, and they have been polite and as helpful as they were able. I really shouldn't have lumped the likes of Mandy in with the guys who wound me up.

If I sound like I've being going overboard it's a lot to do with them being the company that has been my main supplier and who I have happily spent hundreds with over the last year. I probably feel more let down and disappointed after my problems with them becuase of this.

17. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been buying DVDs online for more than 5 years.

The best company I've used for overall service is easily www.dvdpacific.com

People who blame them for customs must either be stupid or have been living in a cave for 6 months. It's been well talked about everywhere that they are no longer customs friendly (no fault of theirs). You can hardly expect them to send you an email saying they're no longer avoiding HMCustoms. Yes, they may have been very kind before but that could be claimed to be ignorance if they ran into trouble with the authorities.

Lebowski: If I sound like I've being going overboard it's a lot to do with them being the company that has been my main supplier and who I have happily spent hundreds with over the last year. I probably feel more let down and disappointed after my problems with them becuase of this.

You obviously haven't used many DVD companies if you think what you say has been fair. If you are going to list all the other great companies out there please list them and why they're so great and we'll all give them a try.

Every company has minor CS problems every now and again. The test is how they deal with it. DVDPacific rate very well in my experience.

18. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    What sort of packaging was dvdpacific using for you?? They used Jiffy bags and cardboard boxes for the large box sets/ big orders for me. Every etailer i've used apart from Amazon has used Jiffy bags or similar - its standard practice so i cant see why you are complaining about dvdpacific using the same packaging as everyone else.

19. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It could be argued that the jiffy bags DVD Pacific use are a little on the large side, so your DVD is less secure in it's envelope, and therefore has more chance of becoming loose inside it's case, during transit.

20. Lebowski

Lebowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    captaineyecatch - I always made orders of 4 or more to cut down on p&p a little, so it was always boxes I got sent stuffed with paper. What can I say, I've already said I didn't use airmail and my other stuff all gets here OK. All the cardboard covers I got were damaged to some extent, mostly minor but some bad. Don't believe me if you don't want to, if it hasn't affected you it won't matter. After the first few I avoided ordering this type from them unless the deal was too good not to take the risk.

APPRIA40WR - Just because something is well known on this board and some others doesn't mean that everybody who hasn't read the same information as you lives in a cave. It's not like I would have worked it out with all my other packages from them since January coming through customs with no problems, so I don't see how that would make me stupid either. You should maybe take a look at your little attitude problem of yours there.

I've used plenty other companies, the same ones as just about everyone else and have rarely had any problems that weren't sorted out. If you read any of my posts properly you would see that I haven't blamed them for the customs charges once, it's the circumstances involved. You don't agree anyway, fine.

Good for you, I'm quite prepared to believe it. I had very good service off them for long enough myself. The thing is, I can actually take somebody else's opinion and realise that it is also valid even though it is different from mine as each opinion is based on seperate experiences.

Anyway, I've said all I have to say on this matter. It seems I've not had the same luck as the rest of you have. You can all take this thread as a word of caution or ignore it, it makes no difference to me. It was meant to be a friendy warning, the sort I would appreciate if from other people who weren't happy with the service of a company I might use, not the vengeance trip a lot of you seem to have asumed it to be.

21. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Lebowski - sorry if i seem to be rude to you i didnt mean it that way.
    Its just maybe you could alter the thread title slightly as the title now really doesnt reflect well on dvdpacific - in my mind there are far worst companys around who really do deserve the worst etailer name.

22. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the best companies that I have ever bought dvds from. Really fast and really friendly. Sure they are no longer so attractive now Customs have caught up with them but as soon as this credit card attack is fixed then I will go straight back to them.

23. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Come on, guys. Do you really think dvdpacific would still be operating if the security issue was still a threat. I'm surprised if you do.

A great company.

24. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Out of curiousity, what sort of packaging should I expect my Alien Quadrilogy to turn up in. :thumbsup:

25. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    There a top company, use them all the time now, except for boxsets etc.

Their customer service is top notch. How many e-tailers can you say actually reply to your emails? They do and the reply usually the same day.

Top tip is to use the HOLD TIL COMPLETE option. This way everything has a seperate invoice and is dispatched seperatley (not bundled up in a box with a massive customs value). Also Priority airmail is great.

The only problem I have with ordering them is the bloody slow time it takes to make some stuff to get thru sodding Royal Mail's Mount Pleasant office!