1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Pacific cheap shipping (risky)

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by cosmokramer, May 3, 2005.

1. cosmokramer

cosmokramer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

This one is a bit of a risky one although it certainly does work (much to my annoyance actually). I'll explain...

I placed an order with Pacific last Tuesday for a movie to be delivered to a friend in the USA. To do this I changed my shipping information to the USA address and processed the order with their cheapest US Ground delivery.

The next day I ordered myself a DVD from them and when it came to placing the order I noticed the shipping information was still the USA address, so I changed it back to my own address here in the UK. Placed order with International Global Priority shipping (the only options available are International ones with a UK address obviously).

Today, I received BOTH DVD's................. :thumbsdow :oops: However, it was a $4 saving on the other DVD's shipping had i actually wanted it! So perhaps someone else can employ the same steps to get greatly reduced shipping. :D :clap:

This must have happened because the shipping address is not stored WITH the order, which is an incredibly stupid system as it allows situations like the above to happen. However, it also allows a saving of a good few dollars on shipping when ordering more than one item at a time (in seperate orders), especially with heavy boxsets. Simply enter a USA address for all but the last order which will allow you to select USPS shipping (v.cheap), and then for the last order, change the shipping information back to your real UK address and choose the normal International shipping method. Most importantly, for ALL of the orders make sure you choose to "ship what is currently available (combine)".

There was a day between my orders and it worked without a problem (I wish it hadn't cos it will cost me more to post it back to the correct address myself) but if you want to risk trying this I would suggest placing all the orders as quickly as possible. So long as the shipping information shows your real address when the items are shipped then there shouldn't be a problem..

Probably only best to try this if you have a real USA address to be shipped to incase it all goes belly up (also would remove any doubt over the legality). At least if it does go wrong you can have it forwarded on...

2. Ryderage

Ryderage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    lmao... wow, a whole $4 saving! Now that's really worth risking your $30 boxsets for.

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,324
    Sounds like a lot of hassle for 2 quid, but thanks for posting.

4. cosmokramer

cosmokramer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's not really hassle - just using a US address for all but the last title in your orders and using a UK address for the final order. I suppose it adds about 2-3mins to the process. The $4 "saving" for me was on a single disc amaray case. For boxsets etc. i expect it would be quite a bit more.. I suppose the novel I wrote explaining it makes it seem a lot more involved than it really is :)

5. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,357
    DVDimport.com is sometimes cheaper, with free shipping to UK
    e.g. I purchased Sledge Hammer Season 2 (4DVD set) three weeks ago
    http://dvdimport.com/product.asp?productid=18556
    - was cheaper than dvdpacific/amzon etc...
    and on my Nationwide Visa credit card statement as:
    12 April 2005 DVDIMPORT.COM MONTREAL XK
    32.36CD DOLLAR at 2.33477633. £13.86
    (Nationwide credit and debit cards do not add loading fees or commission to foreign transactions or debit card ATM transactions)

delivered faster (and in good packaging) than than anything I've ever ordered from DVDPacific

6. brettlouise

brettlouise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your item is permanently out of stock at DVD Import they WILL NOT give you a refund. I waited a year for my IMAX double pack and all they would offer was to buy something else. No explanation, no apologies, no refund. I had to get a refund from my credit card company in the end. Their replies to my queries were slow to non-existant. It's interesting that you've found reason to order from them, since the prices of other items didn't seem that good. :thumbsdow

If you are going to recommend an alternate to DVD Pacific I would suggest DVDSoon - their prices are amazing! :)

ps: I've never had any trouble with DVD Pacific, but they are slow & if you don't specify "ship all together" you will get hit for extra (small) shipping charges. Great prices though.

7. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Give me dvdpacific any day over dvdsoon - IMO dvdsoon are far to slow and of course the dvds they sell are candian version so some suffer with the crappy french writing. Great prices though with dvdsoon but you pay low low prices you get low low service. Note this is my own experience with dvdsoon i know alot have never had any problems but i have and wont be using them again.

8. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,357
    I would not wait a year :lesson: , and would expect/demand a refund if not delivered within two months of release date; I would apply this advice to new/recent releases only, such as Sledge Hammer season 2 that was released the week of my order.

DVD Pacific usually wins on price (including delivery), however I always check prices at: http://www.find-dvd.co.uk & http://dvdpricecheck.co.uk

- but to say you've never had trouble with them :eek: does not sit comfortably with most customers of the last year+ whose credit card details were copied when dvdpacific.com's website was hacked and had fraudulent transactions made on their credit cards as a result. Those who escaped were those who advised issuer and wisely changed credit card number; otherwise most eventually received refunds from issuer

9. cosmokramer

cosmokramer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and that's why my cheeky Shipping cheat tip will reduce the cost even more. It WILL work........ DOES.. but just be careful.. It will work though. As i said - would be good if someone could verify with a real US address as backup.

The thing worked with me, and the ******s have just refused to reimburse me and claim it was my fault for changing the address back! So I say rape them for all they're worth. An admission of guilt and a denial of liabilty in one email. Grrrr. :mad:

10. s1hastie

s1hastie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Just sounds like to much messing around to me and also with a company that i don't think i like the sound of.

11. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    So are you now saying it didn't work and they won't credit you back :confused:

12. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't be put off, I recommend this site as an alternative to the likes of CD WOW and Play. Do bear in mind that you pay shipping charges but often they can be pounds cheaper. Just do your normal shopping around.