DVD or PC

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by skimber, Dec 1, 2001.

1. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm curently awaiting delivery of a Philips UGO s-lite and was wondering what the best source for DVD's would be...

Samsung 709 or a PC with DVD drive and s-video out. If the PC route is best for picture quality then how do I go about getting DTS sound into my hifi (Kenwood series 21, SE-A951S). At the moment i use the digital audio output on the back of my DVD into the digital input on the hifi. so how do i get a digital DTS signal out of a pc?

Cheers

Simon

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,635
    Not familiar with that projector. It *is* datagrade, isn't it? It needs to be able to do [email protected] as a minimum.

For Dolby Digital and DTS out, you just need a sound card like the Fortissimo II. Optical output for about £30.

3. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon
    I'm glad you have ask this question as I am considering upgrading to a progressive scan dvd player and as I was trawling through past posts I notice Spectre commented that "It many not be quite the most user friendly option, but if picture quality is paramount, then you should think about a HCPC. It will wipe the floor with all the players mentioned". As I am not familiar the the concept of using a computer to deliver audio visual signals to my 10HT could someone enlighten me as to the best specification for such a computer. Also the pros and cons.
    Thanks
    Dave

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,635
    Simon and Dave - this thread really belongs in the HCPC forum, so I'm going to move it there shortly.
    Mean time have a look through previous threads in that forum for more information.

5. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i don't agree! :)

my main original question was what would be the best source for my projector, Player or PC. the sound question was just an afterthought!

6. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PC!

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,635
    Simon, by the way, the way to connect up a PC for the best pictures is via the VGA output to RGB input of the projector.
    NOT s-video as you first suggested. Taking the s-video output (i.e. interlaced as opposed to progressive scan) does not have any performance advantages over a normal player.
    Which is why it is important to know from the outset if the Philips can take [email protected] computer signal beore you start down the HCPC route.

8. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers! On the specs it says "Computer Inputs: 15pin Sub"... is that what i need? :confused:

Cheers

Simon