DVD or CD player

Adam72

Hi, I’m looking for a unit to play my Cd’s on. I want to spend as little as possible. I’ve got a Quad Vena amp and I’m thinking I can get away with a DVD player with an optical out. Am I right in thinking this.

Any help appreciated
Thanks.

dannnielll

In my opinion yes.it is what I am using now. Now there can be a problem. Many DVD and Blu-ray players don't have on board displays any more,and expect a tv screen for all menus and track numbers etc. .. so if buying player, you do need this function.

Adam72

Hi thanks for replying. I was going to rip all my cds into lossless and put them on an iPad but after doing about 20 yesterday I lost the will to live. I’m thinking a cheap DVD player for about £50/75 from eBay should do the trick. I normally listen to my Lps but I’ve got a couple of cds that would cost to much to replace on vinyl.

Adam72

That looks ideal. I’m still unsure why my PS4 can’t play cds. Does anyone know if that’s gonna be fixed with a patch.

dannnielll

Hi thanks for replying. I was going to rip all my cds into lossless and put them on an iPad but after doing about 20 yesterday I lost the will to live. I’m thinking a cheap DVD player for about £50/75 from eBay should do the trick. I normally listen to my Lps but I’ve got a couple of cds that would cost to much to replace on vinyl.
I don't know what method you were using to digitise your CD collection ,but it is very doable and can with a decent computer be done at the rate of about 15 to 20 per hour. I wrote up on methods of doing it see my postings.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Do you have any kind of player now - CD, DVD, BluRay -?

Here is a Phillips DVD DVP2800 which has 24b/192k Audio DACs built in -

Buy the Philips 2000 series DVD player DVP2800/05 DVD player

Price - £26 -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-DVP2800-Player-Quality-Outputs/dp/B00BBTQXOG/

I use an older Harman Kardon Universal DVD48 which originally cost about £450, which I bought B-Stock directly from H-K for about £100. I absolutely could not have gotten more for my money, and am very satisfied with the results. (CD Playback only)

In your case, at £26, this would be a good stop gap measure until such time as you can afford to upgrade ... assuming that time actually comes.

So, yes you can do this. But don't expect £2600 results from a £26 player. But you should be able to expect reasonably good results.

If you can raise your budget to about £200, then there are a range of CD Player available to you -

Denon DCD-520AE CD Player

Marantz CD5005 CD Player

Pioneer PD-10AE Pure Audio CD Player

Manufacturer Refurbished Yamaha CD-N301 - Black. S/N: 21Y241678ZP

The above B-Stock Yamaha CD-D301 has Network Streaming in addition to CD Playback.

Yamaha CDS300 CD Player

Steve/bluewizard

vinceledge

Standard Member
Just bought a Sony DVD player from Currys £39 and it has digital and analogue phono plug output, sounds pretty good!

DIBSTER

There are literally hundreds of cheap 2nd hand DVD/BluRay players for sale now. I stopped using a dedicated CD player last year and I bought a cheap Sony BDP-S350 for about £20 off Ebay and used that as a transport into my £90 Yiang Sheng DAC. It works perfectly. I could not tell any difference between this set up and my old Marantz SA8005 player.

dannnielll

Just bought a Sony DVD player from Currys £39 and it has digital and analogue phono plug output, sounds pretty good!
There is only one problem with the DVD players.. getting one which has both Analogue and digital outputs AND a visible display.
The very cheap units have analogue outputs and maybe a SCART, since they use older chips and get sold for second TVs...but they use the tv for display and don't have a front panel
The extremely expensive ones have very modern chips And all bells and whistles but 800 quid is a bit rich
The expensive ones have displays but NO DACs!. ... Yes Sony X800 at 250 quid, ,we are looking at you.
Buying second hand is the only way of ensuring both

gibbsy

Buying second hand is the only way of ensuring both
You can look for the Pioneer BDP LX-58 which is a universal player with has analogue out with a pure direct function. Beast of a player but they are beginning to appear in the classified market. I've just sold one on here. I used it with analogue to a Rega amp and it sounded pretty good.

vinceledge

Standard Member
The Sony one I got doesn't have a visual display but does have a analogue and digital coaxial outputs for £32 , just bought a second one and it had come down in price! It is Sony DVPSR760H
And it sounds pretty good through my Arcam amps and Tannoy Berkeleys

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom