DVD Online Rental Companies

P

Popester

Any suggestions for good ones?

Tried 2 so far:

Blockbuster - only send from bottom of (long list), turn around time very long for next DVDs on list, customer service response slow to non existent, reporting of faulty DVDs/not showed up etc hard to find.

Webflix - superb turn around, fast updating, give ALL of a box set as one item not disc by disc, but no new films.

?? Any suggestions.

I've just signed up to moviechoices.com to see what they're like. They have a reasonable list, including some new ones.
Only signed up Friday, and made a lsit of 'wants', and I've had a couple of confirmation emails, but nothing yet telling me what films I'll get first, or when I'll get them.
They're offering a free 30 day trial too, which is why I thought I'd try them, nothing to lose (hopefully) :rolleyes:

I'll let you know what response I get over the next day or two if you like.

just seen that there was an earlier thread about this. I'm happy to keep trying the trials until I find one I like which =

Good turn around
Good choice
New films that get sent out close to when they're released
Discs in good condition and good customer service when not.

Price seems to be much of a muchness

p.s. tried Moviechoices tooand not bad although I have stuck with Webflix (paid) at the moment because of their sending complete box sets rather than disc at a time. However lack of new films is now getting very limiting.

Screenselect is quite good:- httpp://www.screenselect.co.uk

I used screenselect for a couple of months. Initially they were very good but by the end of the second month it was taking 3 days for the DVD to arrive. When I reported a fault there service was very good.

My biggest complaint and with any of these services is that you cannot guarentee what you are going to get. But I suppose at the price you pay they are good value.

I switched to videoisland after using movietrak for a while. VI have proven damn good so far - new releases turn up very promptly indeed. Older stuff seems to take a little longer (I guess they have fewer copies).

They've just merged with ScreenSelect btw. All the UK 'net rental companies are running scared of NetFlix arriving in the UK later this year ... so they're scrambling to consolidate.

VideoIsland, best of the bunch, I have had 3+ dvds per week since
I joined about 6 months ago (on the 3 at a time membership)
The one week I didn't get 3, they gave me an extra 2 weeks free membership.
They do expect you to keep a list of 40+ tho

I've been testing Blockbuster for the last 2 weeks and they are (IMHO) appalling, don't touch them. Customer service is all but non existent and they seem intent on starting from the BOTTOM of my queue and working up (i.e. the fillers I added in just to get the queue length up)! That's of course when my DVDs actually show up back to them and I can get new ones. Finally out of 6 discs so far 3 have been unplayable (on 2 different players).

Will try VI.

I,ve been with Screenselect for months now, before that it was In-Movies..who merged

I've found their service to be excellent as far as turnaround goes, and only one lost DVD.

We get postal deliveries at some weird times around here, sometimes as late as 4-30 pm, so you never know what or when there gonna drop through the letterbox.

Screenselect and VideoIsland are to merge later this year.

Well so far from the companies I've tried the duty of care is back with the rental firm until you receive it and after you've posted it. It has to be expected as a downside to the service and they usually have insurance to cover loss of DVDs. Certainly one DVD went missing with webflix, I reported it online, they took it off my account and sent me another.

As I can't get any response from Blockbuster I'll have to get back to you on that as one is missing now.

OK, secret with Blockbuster was not to email them but to call them. Very helpful nice woman on the other end and matters sorted. Appears that the cases their using has been damaging films and they are shortly changing to a new case.

I've been using videoisland for some time, and generally I think they have been good. I've had an email saying they are merging with screenselect to give them a strong market position against American rental firms (movieflix, I think) who are coming soon to the UK.

One gripe I have is I have had a couple of films on the list, marked as ASAP pretty much since day one, and they have still not sent them. I am beginning to think they just don't have it! The ASAP priority think seems to have little influence on that they send from your list.

Yes same here AHD2020, I've had a few like that too, that never seem to get posted out and like you have wondered if they might still be available.

Our local library rents out a fair number of DVD'S, some of which were charting in Blockbusters, they charge £2.00 and £1.00 (for older films) but this last month they have reduced the whole range to 50p a DVD for 2 nights.

The lost DVD with Screenselect was covered by the companies insurance with Royal Mail...I recieved the DVD, but was lost on it's return.

Just to be safe I get a receipt of posting (free) from the Post Office as proof the item going through the system.

I found the Screenselect packaging to be pretty poor, not as good as In-Movies who used plain brown cardboard, which I thought would have stood up to a fair bit of agro as it went through the postal machinary, human as well as mechaniical.

These companies must have included the whole lost/damage thing into the business plan when deciding on what rates to charge, for it still to be profitable. I image a %age is allowed for lost in post, or damaged dvd's etc. It is unlikely that these costs would be passed on to the customer, unless of course you are having one lost every week or so, in which case suspicions might arise.

I had one from video island that came in a paper cover, rather then the usual plastic one, upon opening it noticed it had a crack across the middle, like it had been bent too much. I reported it on the web site and returned it. Video island gave the option of re-renting it. There is no way I could prove that it was not me that did it (which is wasn't), neither for them to say that it was. The same for ones that are lost. I mean doesn't something like 140,000 letters go missing in the post each year?

I have been using the BB one for the last month as my local BB has closed down and have given all locals free rentals using there on-line service.

I willl cancel mine at the end of the promotion as i find im the latest release films takes weeks before i actaully get them delivered to me. for example i didnt get Starsky and Hutch for 2.5 weeks after it had been released on DVD and i had it in my top3 the week before it came out.

I think the service is good, but i feel that i dont get the films i wanna watch there and then and so if i could would just go a rent one from the store. Fingers crossed we will be getting a new BB store soon.

Dal

I gather most companies have insurance to cover damaged and lost discs which is going to be an inevitable problem. I've had disks show up in cardboard and plastic sleeves, and ironically it's the plastic ones (in Blockbusters case) that seem to have done damage. Having said that I'm still lovin Webflix I just wish they had more up to date films, grrrrrrrr.

they don't need insurance!
The post office offers compensation for loss or damage up to £28 on all item sent.
If it goes missing you goto the PO and fill out a claim form.

A few weeks ago Screenselect sent me a few items in their new packaging.

It consisted of a very flimsy and flexible thin plastic..read cheap.

I got the DVD out without a problem, but the perforations and joins needed for repackaging were such that I tore the thing in the wrong place and ended up with two halves.

They sent an email asking if I wanted to pass any comment on the newer style packaging they were trialing...I kindly pointed them to take a close look at the return DVD......plus one roll of sellotape.

But all in all I'm very happy with the overall service and selection they have to offer. I agree though, as another forum member has already mentioned, that American outfit will certainly shake up the competition when it arrives

This thread has perked my interest in DVD rental companies but I've not seen any comparison of price/performance. Since I am a self-confessed lazy git I wondered whether people could advise on the cheapest/best value rental firms and highlight key features you get for the price.

And what about turn-around times? If I went for the cheapy option from www.moviechoices.com (£9.99, 1 DVD at a time), how long would I have to wait for my next movie in general. What is the concensus on price vs value in this respect? Is it better to pay a little more to have more out simultaniously (I know this is personal preference but I am after views here). If I go for a 3 DVD's at a time (say, www.screenselect.co.uk which is £14.99 a month) am I likely to be able to maintain a situation where I always have a DVD in hand?

JTZI

I only know video island, so can't comment on the others. I would say the turnaround time is pretty quick. I would say generally Day 1 - post back. Day 2 - Nothing. Day 3 - They post new movies. Day 4 - New movies arrive. Maybe sometimes it goes into Day 5. For 3 at a time it's £3.99 per week, for 2 it's £2.99 and 5 is £5.99.

They like you to keep a pretty long rental list though, maybe as many as 40 movies, so if you are pretty specific about what you want to watch then it might get frustrating. There is a free 14 day trial anyway, so you can give it a go for nowt.

Andy

pjclark1 said:
they don't need insurance!
The post office offers compensation for loss or damage up to £28 on all item sent.
If it goes missing you goto the PO and fill out a claim form.

I filled out one of these forms when a DVD got lost, by them, that I sent via Recorded Delivery.
That was in August 2003.

Numerous letters and emails sent and still no refund. :confused:

how strange, they always send me a cheque within 14 days of claim.

Back to topic, I have over 50 on my VideoIsland list and have already had 2 sets
of 3 disks this week, if another 3 arrive Saturday that will be a new record of
9 rentals in 1 week (all for £15 a month) I have never had less than 12 rentals in a month. They really are a top rental company. The trick is to keep a large list.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom