DVD on Network

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Lumox, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Lumox

Lumox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to view a dvd on a small home network.
    Does anyone know how to configure it or is there software that
    makes it easy.

2. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,407
    Viewing a DVD across a network doesn't cause any problems at all. I rip my DVD's to HD and can play one film on the HTPC and another across the network on my main machine both at the same time.

A 10/100 network has more than enough capacity to stream the film. Easiest thing to do is just share the DVD drive like you would a HD.

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    im not an expert, but rpping dvds to hdd disk and then installing dvd software on the mcahines that want to view it should work. would be interested how to get 5.1 mix around the house, or is it just a case of pluggin into a 5.1 amp from the digital outs on the pcs?
    hopes this helps anyway!

4. Lumox

Lumox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I shared my dvd drive on one machine but how do I get the other machine with the dvd software on it to play the dvd.

5. Lumox

Lumox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to get some playback on my other machine but it played very blocky and could not see the picture very well

6. halephil

halephil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Lumox,
    It seems to come down to available bandwidth. On a fixed network (Cat 5 cable) set at 100Mbit/s I have no problem streaming a DVD from one machine to another, using either PowerDVD or the s/w player for the X-Card. Drop the bandwidth to 10Mbit/s and I've found that your more likely to see stuttering especially on high bit rate DVD's as the reduced bandwidth available struggles to cope with the traffic.
    I haven't had chance to try a wireless network but I would expect you would need to use 802.11a/g (max 54Mbit/s) devices. The latest 802.11b D-Link kit that offers a max 22Mbit/s may work but only over short distances.
    Cheers, Phil

7. Lumox

Lumox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my network cards are 100mbits so I should get a good picture.
    Is there a way to tell how fast my connection is?
    Thanks.

8. halephil

halephil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Check your network status. In XP open Network Connections and right click on the live network connection and select status.
    If you using a hub or switch ensure it supports 100Mbit/s otherwise your network cards will drop back to 10Mbit/s.

Cheers, Phil

9. Lumox

Lumox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am running win98se and at the moment I do not have a hub, only 2 pc's linked with a
    cross over cable and a network card in each machine.
    Thanks

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I've been wanting to try this, but my laptop, where the drive i'd like to use is situated, it networked with a USB thingy, not enough bandwidth. What bandwidth is PCMCIA, anyone know? that would be the easy solution. Or else I suppose I could p2p network the laptop via it's firewire port.

11. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,407
    10/100Mb with an ethernet PCMCIA card.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Cheers Desmo, the usb limit is way too low, but that should cure my valve bounce then...

13. alexpocock

alexpocock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO the easiest way to get your second PC to access the dvd drive in the first is to map it as a network drive. Then point your dvd software at the network drive.

To map a network drive:

Right click on network neighbourhood on the desktop and select Map network drive. Type the path as \\NAMEOFPC1\d\ replacing the d with the drive letter of the dvd drive in PC1 and the name part with the network name of PC1. Then select a drive letter for the network drive eg X: Now open your dvd software and set it up but when it asks you to give it the location of your dvd drive type X: (or whatever letter you assigned in the mapping process.

If you have any problems following this just ask - i'm not the best at explaining things clearly

Alex