DVD on Hard Drives

P

pcpaz

Is there software available to backup your DVD's onto a PC hard drive and then play the DVD movie from a hard drive rather than inserting the DVD disc.

Power DVD4 XP can do it for sure. Very useful for authoring if you are into that.

MuFu.

Combine triplebj's recommendation with software from www.alcohol-soft.com (vitual DVD drive). This will allow you to save any DVD on your hard disk and play it with any software DVD player. Hope you have enough storage to keep a decent library.

Good luck

Epithet.

I do this. The easy way is to use DVD Decrypter and rip to ISO. You can then mount the ISO using Daemon Tools. The computer will then see this as if you had inserted the real DVD. This gets you a 1:1 copy of the DVD but obviously requires a lot of space.

What I do is rip to HD using DVD Decrypter and then, using IFOedit, dump all the menus and extras and just keep the film.

On an 80GB HD I've currently got around 14 films andstill have space for a few more.

Best guide and links to all tools needed can be found at www.doom9.org

Originally posted by Desmo
What I do is rip to HD using DVD Decrypter and then, using IFOedit, dump all the menus and extras and just keep the film.

What a long way for a shortcut :D
Why don't you just rip the movie from the DVD and loss the extra audio and sub track while your at it.
You'll find most movies will come out at between 5 and 6GB in size and all you have to do is open PowerDVD and select the IFO file for the movie and it'll start playing.

I use SmartRipper. Select backup check stream processing, choose the audio you want, subtitles etc, select the directory to backup to and click start that's it. It's about as simple as it gets.

Ian

Originally posted by alanrob
Why don't you just rip the movie from the DVD and loss the extra audio and sub track while your at it.
I do dump the extra audio and subs too. I use IFOedit because you can use it to dump angles from multiangle films too. It re-sorts all the .ifo files so chapters work correctly, makes it multi region etc.

A double click on the VIDEO_TS.IFO launches the film directly into zoomplayer.

Originally posted by alanrob
What a long way for a shortcut :D
You'll find most movies will come out at between 5 and 6GB in size and all you have to do is open PowerDVD and select the IFO file for the movie and it'll start playing.

Yes I have done this point PowerDVD to the IFO file, but nothing happens, but when I point PowerDVD to a VTS file it starts playing, the only problem with this is you then need to open the next VTS file to play the whole movie.

I have used DVD Decryptor, and that works fine, but cannot get PowerDVD to start the IFO file.

Any ideas where I am going wrong.

Can't get PowerDvdXP to play the DVD that I have ripped to my hard drive using DVD Decrypter. I have selected Play Dvd files from the hard drive in the config,selected what I think is the right file, but nothing happens. Will TT play it? Or can some suggest what might be the problem with PowerDdvd.
Thanks
Dave

When PDVD is open hit Ctrl+O and choose "Open DVD FIles on Hard Disk Drive"
Then aim it at the "VIDEO_TS.IFO" file of the film you want to watch.

Desmo i tried that but it don't work but did try winDVD and
plays from hard drive.

?.I have used the DVD decrypter to copy my movies
on to hard drive but have made 6 VOB files.How do i play
all of the VOB files together?

Seems strange that it won't play the VIDEO_TS.IFO file.
What method are you using? File, IFO or ISO?

You can set DVDDec to merge all the files into one large vob file, it's in the settings.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom