1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd Of The Year

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Gary D, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Well the votes are in, and the forum DVD of the year can now be revealed. I have to say that i was very disappointed with turn out - even Council elections get a higher turn out that we had for this. Indeed the vote for best retailer got a higher response than the DVD of the year (would seem that members care more about where they get disks from than what they actully watch - go figure.) I can only assume that many members dont know how to send private messages :eek: or they couldn't give a hoot but that would be strange concidering what an opinionated bunch we are.

Anyway i'd like to thank those of you that did take the trouble to vote :smashin:

Gary

The AVFORUMS DVD OF THE YEAR IS:

The Star Wars Trilogy

2nd Place:
    LOTR: Return Of The King (Extended Edition)

3rd Place:
    Hero (not bad for a movie not even released on DVD in ths country.)

Joint 4th
    Kill Bill 1
    Shaun Of The Dead
    Shawshank Redemption 3 disc SE (R2)
    Babylon 5 (Season 3)
    Alien Qualrilogy

Farenheit 9/11
    Star Trek Generations
    Terminator 2 Extreme Edition
    Hellboy Director's Cut 3 Disc SE
    Dawn of The Dead: Ultimate Edition
    Videodrome: Criterion Collection
    Dawn of The Dead (Japanese Premium DTS edition)
    Man on Fire
    Hellboy
    Kill Bill 2
    Wonderland
    Zatoichi
    Lake Placid
    The Shield Season 2
    Alien
    Clue
    The Goonies
    Indiana Jones trilogy
    Red Dwarf 4
    Red Dwarf 5
    Shrek 2
    Blade (Jap)
    Underworld
    Black Hawk Down (R3)
    Iron Monkey
    Buffy (Season 3)
    Die Another Day
    Babylon 5 (Season 4)
    Alias (season 2)
    Farscape (season 1)
    Farscape (season 2)

2. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how many people voted Gary?

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I agree with the first two, but probably in a different order :). Actually, they are probably as good as each other for image quality, ROTK:EE steals it for sound though :D

4. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    hmm i never even saw the vote, maybe you could run it again, it's not too late as everyone can probably remember at least one dvd they bought last year;) it was me that ran the best e-tailer one, so i definitely would have given yours reciprocation, but i never saw it !!! bloody invisible threads :rolleyes:

personally, although DOTD ultimate was a good set, i was disappointed with the surround sound as it sounded very "fake" i guess, so i can't give that the vote..

although it's not on your selection, i would vote No 1 for "the butterfly effect" R1 as the DVD is very good, and the movie is one of the best of the last 10 years (in my opinion) Perhaps my love for the movie is what pushes it up, but a dvd which contains both theatrical and directors cut versions, as well as a ton of extras is well worth the winning vote in my opinion.

2nd i would go for the alien quadrilogy as this was my 2004 holy grail of DVD boxsets which i got off ebay for £31 way before all the 29.99 offers started, and have been very pleased with the movies.

3rd i would go for the Indiana jones trilogy R3 as the PQ and sound are great, and it only bloody cost £13! Bargain!!

4th,, hmm perhaps i'll give the dawn of the dead ulimate dvd 4th place at least, it's a monumental release despite my misgivings about the sound.. at least 2 of the 3 versions don't sound like crap.

5th ok i'm going to stop at 5 and share this spot with 2 dvd's i've watched recently. 1) ali g in the usaiii. This is hands down the funniest thing i've ever seen, even pipping the office by a small amount. Sasha at his absolute best, and £3.99 in the HMV sale! no excuse for not getting it!! And sharing no 5 is 2) Kingdom Hospital, which is probably the strangest and most ambitious TV series i've ever seen, just look at the Antubis character! this is some of the best CGI in history on a TV PROGRAMME! OK so it's not just the CGI, the actual storyline is superb and totally unique. well worth getting...

6. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Hi chaps,

i had about 15 to 20 members vote over a three week period which i thought was very disappointing (especailly as we are all such on opinionated bunch :D )

as for it being invisible, the request for votes was a sticky on the main DVD TALK page. (yes its still there :) )

to be fair i think that the problem was that it wasn't a poll it was to be carried out via private message and i think that many members are not sure how to send PM's. there was also an issue with people not being sure what they were voting for as it wasn't a BEST FILM vote but a BEST DVD which is a different kettle of fish altogether.

i was going to put the top ten as a poll at one stage but that proved impossible as i recevied so few votes. (the DVD's in joint 4th got TWO votes each all the ones below that got ONE vote each.)

Gary

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Run it agian! I have some new DVDs I just got (b4 the new year) which I would like to nominate.

8. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826

If memory serves me right you voted anyway (thanks :smashin: ) its those who didn't vote that i want too vote!

Gary

9. thirst

thirst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't those who haven't already voted take part now and PM Gary? Or perhaps leave their top five DVDs on this thread to be counted?

What do you think Gary?

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    That is low :blush: I would have voted, but most of the dvd's I've watched were from the year before. Star Wars Trilogy, RoTK EE, Ultimate Matrix are all in original wrapping still...

I buy more than I can watch :D

11. thirst

thirst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tejstar, As long as you bought them in 2004 they are eligible.

12. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I also missed this, didn't know it was on. :rolleyes:

13. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Guys, there seems to be a ground sweell of opinion to run it again. my only problem with this is that it will be very difficult to publicise.

if anyone has any ideas then please do it. i dont mind if someone else wants to do it or i will - i'm easy.

i weas going to do a top ten but even then some of the titles that made it into the rather weak top ten would be really lame ducks (Babylon 5 season 3!! :eek: )*

Asd i say if someone else wants to run with then please do (just let me know so i can vote!!)

Gary

* for the record i'm a big Babylon 5 fan but i dont really think that it warrants a berth in the top DVD's of the year.

14. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know Babylon 5 season 3 is far from perfect as a DVD release but apart from the actual quality of the episodes which includes some of the finest science-fiction TV of all time, if not some of the finest television of all time!

It also includes a 5.1 soundtrack when a lot of other TV DVDs only include Dolby Digital 2.0 (including Buffy and the X-Files to name just a couple), there are several commentaries, 22 original trailers and a few featurettes. It's hardly a lame duck in my opinion.... I can't even remember if I voted for this or not?

15. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Besides wouldn't it be boring if we all voted for Star Wars, return of the King and the alien quadrology !

16. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    hmm how about you do a series of polls
    ie best dvd boxset of 2004 ie indy R3 trilogy, Alien Quadrilogy
    best limited edition dvd of 2004 ie ROTK gift box
    best new release of 2004 ie Dawn of the Dead 2004, Shaun of the dead, Butterfly Effect
    best special edition of 2004 ie Hellboy DC, DOTD Ultimate Edition (i would differentiate between "new release" and "special edition" on new titles by only counting special editions if they also have a regular edition, like Hellboy/DOTD do.
    best superbit of 2004 ie Spiderman 2

and then once they are all concluded, take the top 3 of those and do another poll to determine the overall winners. realistically you could get a top 3 from a list of about 100 releases that way. I realise a few cross the borders of more than one category, but i expect they would still get votes no matter which category you put them in

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I know, but I didn't think it would make sense judging a film on the 'hype factor' alone!

18. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think a better and more flexible way of finding out the best DVD's would be to have a place on the forum where members can enter any or all DVD's they have seen and give a 1 to 10 rating for Movie/Picture Quality/Sound/Extras (ie. similar to the DVD reviews).
    Only problem is that to automate this would require a web application connected to a database etc..

19. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826

marc, its a nice idea but i had a hard enough time getting people to vote in one poll let alone loads of different ones.

Gary

20. thirst

thirst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not just get everybody to add their top five DVDs to this thread, assuming you haven't already voted last time round.

21. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826

because adding it to the thread makes it near unworkable, people can change their minds after voting (by editing the posts) and then theres the problem with collating the results. i wouldn't fancy it, but if someone else does....

gary

22. thirst

thirst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh well

There hasn't been an awful lot of interest in it anyway