1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD NTSC to PAL

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by big ric, Dec 4, 2004.

1. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    can anybody out there tell me if any dvd players that are multi region and when you play region 1 dvds convert the ntsc into proper pal50hz because i have just brought a optoma tv which does not like playing ntsc but i would lke to keep the tv if i can find a way round this pro
    Thanx
    big Ric

2. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    Some can, Some carn't - the better brands will do this, BUT and a BIG BUT, you will be comprimising quality due to the conversion.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Full conversion to PAL50 is typically found on the cheapo chinese-made jobs found in supermarkets etc. I can't tell you which - these items change brand, size shape and features with every new container ship arrival. However, most supermarkets (etc) are pretty good at instant refunds. So you can try.

BUT - as ozdvduser says - such conversion is rarely done well in such players. There may be any or both of - jerkiness on movement, incorrect picture shape.

True conversion, done well, costs thousands - much, much more than a state of the art flat panel TV.......

So - is your Optoma TV totally incapable of showing 525 line, 60hz images?

4. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know how well it works in reverse, but my Cambridge Audio 540D does a really fine job with PAL>NTSC conversion (here in Canada) so you may want to check it out. It's supposed to be equally good in each direction, but I don't have a PAL display with which to test the player's capabilities.

5. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can buy a little box the converts between the two and fits between tv and dvd player. Just do a net search.

6. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm sorry, but you can't "buy" any "little box" that will convert 525 lines, 60hz to 625 lines 50hz. Those that you are referring to convert NTSC colour to PAL colour - only. The resulting output is PAL60 (or PseudoPAL). They don't convert the line and frame rates.

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,911
    Speaking of PAL60hz, anyone know how I get my Pioneer DV470 to output a PAL60hz signal as I seem to only be able to get it to output NTSC60hz or PAL50hz.

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    LV426
    sorry but you are wrong, a chipped xbox will play in PAL or NTSC at your choice, as will the DK Digital range of dvd players (£50 from www.ebuyer.co.uk) and that's not PAL60, but proper PAL or NTSC. But of course the conversion from NTSC to PAL will mean jerky pans as 1 in 6 frames has been discarded.

If it can play Divx, it can do standards conversion, appears to be the rule.
    (if it can't do Divx then it will output PAL60)

I would also like to point out that digital technology has already gone
    way beyond what I thought possible. The other day I was playing with
    the controls of my Panasonic PWD6 plasma and managed to bring up
    my xbox playing NTSC and my TV tuner with a PAL picture side by side.
    I can't even imagine how it can manage picture by picture with two different
    television standards playing at the same time, but it can.

9. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never understood why some PAL DVD players support NTSC to PAL conversion in the first place.

It's completely unnecessary as just about every PAL TV made in the last 15 years supports 525/60. Okay, a number of TVs don't support composite NTSC colour decoding (resulting in a black and white picture), but the simple solution is to use PAL60, S-VIDEO or RGB, the latter two being much better than composite anyway. I don't know what NTSC to PAL conversion on a DVD player looks like, but I suspect it isn't pretty.

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,911
    The picture quality of NTSC converted to PAL isnt bad at all but its the stutter that really bugs me, that is why I wanted a DVD player which could do PAL60hz like my old Samsung 709 could and even though I was told by a few places the Pioneer could do Pal60hz I havent been able to achieve it yet.

11. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    It seems the cheap players cannot do a format conversion without stuttering. My Cyberhome 400 is like that.

I have a old Encore 450 (£170) which to my eyes does a wonderful job with both PAL to NTSC and NTSC to PAL. There is no stuttering at all. These £30+ players can't match it.

12. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    ok i have yamakawa 375 dvi dvd player and a 46 inch toshiba dlp display i have them set up on the 1080i 60hz (as everyone of my dvds is region 1)
    from the dvd player and the toshiba is doing the progressive side of things am i right in assuming this is the best way or am i better off letting the dvd player out put at 720p and if so which one 720p 50hz or 720p 60hz? I have tried them all with no real change in PQ

13. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
  14. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In what way?

15. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

I guess nobody knows

16. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're watching 60Hz DVD content on a 720p DLP TV, then 720p @60Hz would seem like the best option.;)

17. butch9850

butch9850

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MY CYBERHOME CH-DVD 402...plays ntsc discs perfectly,as expected,from a dvd player multiregion wise.

Bought an expensive pioneer dcs 515 all in one...the dvd player played ntsc discs,with a stutter/glowing,as previously mentioned(making them unwatchable).

So an expensive dvd player cannot do it...But a cheap budget dvd player can?Interesting!..

I really love my cyberhome 402.rgb out...it is pretty great quality picture wise,and the sound is better too,than my old budget yamada 5520 multiregion player.
    bOTH OF THESE had no problem witb ntsc discs.

I am suprised one poster said,cyberhome 400 has stutter...My cyberhome 402 must display pal 50 and pal 60...from ntsc.