DVD not viewable unless Sky in standby

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by iainjclark, Apr 19, 2005.

1. iainjclark

iainjclark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. As a relative newbie to all of this I'll freely admit I may be missing something obvious here, but...

I have a Pioneer DVR-420H DVD Recorder, and have recently got Sky. I had the 420 connected to the Digibox via the VCR Scart, but was having problems with widescreen switching on my recordings. I saw the various threads about widescreen switching signals from Sky, and I decided to chain Sky--DVR--TV.

This works fine - to a point. As long as I keep the DVR in "DVD Mode" this passes RGB to the TV and allows me to view and record in the correct aspect ratio. ("TV mode" has no WS switching.)

Except... I now can't see any of the 420's menus or even watch DVDs unless I put the Sky box in standby. The 420 is working fine, but the TV shows an uninterrupted Sky picture no matter what. (Although selecting Disk Navigator on the 420 seems to stop the Sky audio signal getting to the TV)

I've tried every combination of cables and I've checked every menu option I can find, and I just can't understand what might be causing this. Does anyone have an ideas?

2. iainjclark

iainjclark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further to this I've experimented with various set-ups, and even got the Cinemalink feature working between the TV and the DVD, but no matter what I do it seems that the DVD Recorder is simply not asserting itself over the Sky signal while passing it through. It's the Sky signal that seems to be the cause. If I set the DVD to receive RGB instead of "Decoder" the Recorder's menus are displayed again, but I don't get the Sky picture.

Is this a fault with the player? I've seen lots of messages recommending this kind of pass-through set-up without mentioning the problems I'm experiencing.