1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD mp3 player for car

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by christhedon, Dec 19, 2004.

1. christhedon

christhedon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I want a car mp3 player that takes DVD discs. The few things I care about are:

1) It plays RW or Writeable DVD discs.
    2) It looks ok
    3) Navigating through the songs is not too difficult
    4) Sound is ok.

I'm not going to use it for movies. I just purely want a couple of discs that can play all my music and not have to have the equivalent 20 cds in my car.

I'd prefer to spend under £300. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. diesel_uk

diesel_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in a nut shell mate

**No Chance** sorry. not for the money.

3. brummybloke

brummybloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you would be needing a player that has dvd-A facilities, it is not just as simple as getting a dvd player, you need one that reads dvd-audio.

they cost a bit of money, you need to start your search on kelkoo or something where you can select dvd-a as a criteria.

4. DIY_Subs

DIY_Subs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I bought a car dvdplayer whilst I was in Hong Kong last month for £140 (search on Ebay for AudioVox In-dash Car DVD CD MP3 VCD player (PAV-8000D) - thats how I found somewhere to buy it from in person.
    I have encoded 30 hours of CD tracks to Dolby Digital rather than MP3 onto 1 dvd using Audio DVD Creator, to a single DVD-R. It will play DVD-RW and will play MP3s - but I have only tried this with MP3 cd's I have. I have installed a monitor into the sunvisor whch show the track title etc - and you can use the remote to select the album / tracks you want.
    Hope this helps, let me know if you want anymore info.

5. christhedon

christhedon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sounds pretty cool... I think I want to try the dv5000 from jvc. But the strange thing is its about £500 over here and when I was in the singapore airport I saw it for $600 singapore dollars which is about £200. How does that figure?

6. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Christhedon

Check out caraudiodirect - they've got the new JVC's (JVC-KDDV5101) in featuring "giga mp3" or basically, a dvd drive to read MP3's from. Less than £300, so although dearer than ebay, still within your parameters. Here's the spec

DVD/CD receiver with RDS
    50W x 4 MOSFET high power amp
    Fold-down, detachable face
    Plays CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs
    Plays discs loaded with MP3 and WMA files
    Plays DVDs, DVD-Rs, and DVD-RWs
    Giga MP3 — will play up to 100 hours' worth (4.7Gbytes) of MP3/WMA files burned on a DVD-R
    cEQ — offers six preset tone settings (each setting can be adjusted to your taste)
    24-bit resolution 1-Bit DAC
    DTS/Dolby Digital/MPEG Audio
    DAB Ready (Optional Tuner)
    Rear auxiliary input
    Video output
    Pair of preamp outputs
    wireless remote

7. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been looking on e-bay too, and am interested by the jap dvd/mp3 players. How good are they? do they play mp3s from dvds? I've compiled a few dvd mp3s for my mothers home dvd player and they work fine, all album/song titles appear and i assumed the jap car dvd players would work on the same principle. I'm attactching a 12" sub and amp and decent speakers so would also like good quality sound! Will the jap dvds work/What options have I got??

8. christhedon

christhedon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Now I've gone full circle and I'm stuck between the dension harddisk player (will mean I don't have to disc swap, but doesn't support my multichanger and is non branded) and the JVC posted. (One thing that annoys me is that the dv5000 model that seems to have a better screen is like £500, but only $320 US. How does that make sense).

Does anyone have any pratical experience of these players? Or can point me to a site which reviews them?

Thanks a lot,

Chris

9. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Can't comment directly, however I currently run a JVC (701 I think) and before that the Pioneer 8400 - and I can honestly say the JVC is more impressive then the Pioneer. If I were going to upgrade I'd be looking at the JVC that I mentioned (or for £30 the next one up!)

10. as8602

as8602

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Only problem is that the Dension appears to be discontinued. I was considering it, but have noticed that it's no longer retailed in the UK :-(

11. mayto

mayto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is the only difference between the jvc kd-dv6101 and the 5101 the extra pre-outs and front av sockets on the 6101 model.some sites i have searched a lof of sites incl. jvc's and cannot find a product manual/better specs for either unit. both units are dab ready,but it says on caraudiodirect site you need optional tuner ?.anyone get one yet and would you recommend the 6101 or the 5101.found this german site http://www.grosche.de/src/index.php

any input would be great

derek

12. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    The JVC I have is also DAB ready - it's a little box of tricks which is about £100 inc. the aerial. Chances are it's the same box of tricks. Personally, it's irrelevant as I don't ever listen to the radio.

I will probably go for one of these soon, as I previously mentioned, the JVC I have is definitely better than the Pioneer I owned.

13. WillDashwood

WillDashwood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found this thread (and forum) while trying to track down such a device. Does anyone know if there are more DVD-R/MP3 car stereos in development? It seems daft that if a cheap £30 home DVD player can play MP3's we don't have the same luxury in this department.

14. stevensuf

stevensuf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we do some care dvd players with mp3 capability which can read a dvd full of mp3s or play movies for far less than 300 pounds

steven

15. rico14d

rico14d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
  17. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hmm those faceplates on the Arkons look remarkably like Alpine..

18. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    surely a good thing, or do you think the picture is wrong?? I think I would go for one of these if they could play DVD-R, but I have a feeling they don't.

19. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Audio CD (CD-R/CD-RW/dvd/dvd r/rw Compatible)

20. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    :suicide: :oops:

I'm sure this wasn't on a few weeks ago when someone posted this link. Thanks for pointing it out.

21. Gjn200

Gjn200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found this but as for the quality......???

22. rico14d

rico14d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I emailed the guys at tgincar regarding the PYLE DVD168, see below -

Hi,

Can you tell me if the PYLE DVD168 will play MP3s from a DVDR/RW without having a screen? Can you browse and select each album/folder?

>you can do, but very hard to navigate the dvd without a screen
    >
    >Steven

23. rico14d

rico14d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  24. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +545
    I know its not exactly what you're loking for but for the money you could have an iPod and the following Kenwood HU and adaptor
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...d=4271&cadid=3017c318a6888fc58f6c3b92d491acf5

I've had my ipod for a while and am just getting fed up with the cassette adaptor that only works when it feels like it. I personally reckon this'd offer you a better setup and you can take you music with you as well!!!

Cheers
    Dan

25. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Anyone seen the sony MEXR1 in the flesh ? pixmania and edworthys have it for under £200!!

Matt

26. rjarvis

rjarvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Pixmania are doing the JVC KDDV5101 for £185 delivered.

Richard.

27. Toronto

Toronto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hey Guys, from your question a while back... did you ever find out if you can play DVD-R's on your PYLE DVD168? I just purchased one on eBay and realised that it probably won't support DVD-R's... :( Any suggestions?

Also, for those of you with in-dash DVD screens. Anyone worked with the PYLE PLVIN65 6.5" LCD? Do you know if you can make it work while the car is in motion? how do you wire it to work while driving?

thanks!

28. chimer

chimer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, but I saw on another forum instructions on how to disable handbrake detection. The instructions said strip back the handbrake detect wire and wrap it around the FM radio antenna jack (or any other earth point) then basically the unit will think the handbrake is permanently on.

I'm also looking for a Giga-MP3 player (with no particular interest in DVD playing and without need to have a full display in the front of the car). I've ordered a MEX-R1 off Pixmania but now looking at the user manual on the sony website I'm worried it's not the product I want. The user manual contains no screen shots that show what the head unit display shows when browsing MP3 discs and all the instructions assume you will use the remote control. Fumbling around in the door pocket for the remote isn't what I'm after.

The JVC AVX-1 looks to be the answer. But that's £400. You get get an Alpine, an iPod adapter and drop the iPod into the glove compartment for that price. JVC also do two other units DV5101 and 6101 which are cheaper but don't have the display. However, I can't find the user guides for any of these models.

29. chimer

chimer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found manuals for the DV5101

http://books.jvcservice.com/booklist.asp?Model=KD-DV5101

And it looks to be what we're looking for.

Two pairs of up and down buttons. One selects folder, the other selects track in the folder. So long as the folder structure is only one level deep then navigation using purely the front panel buttons looks like it will be OK.

30. chimer

chimer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correction. The MEX-R1 can also skip Album. You have to read the small print. (It says that numbers 3 and 4 are skip Album whilst MD changer is not connected). So both the MEX-R1 and the DV-5101 (and 6101 I'd assume) can do next/previous album and next/previous track, straight off the main unit without need for OSD.

The Sony (MEX) unit manual however really doesn't make it clear what will be displayed on the main panel during this operation. The JVC manual is rather more explicit.