1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Movies for the parents...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by StuartBooth, Jan 14, 2001.

1. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my parents a DVD player for Xmas and sent them Contact and The Insider hoping they might like them.

Actually, I knew my mother would like Contact, but I was *very* surprised to find my father enthusing quite so much about The Insider, although in sending this to them, I had hoped they'd like it.

So what other films are out there that seem to go down well with 60year old parents who aren't big film fans I wondered????

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Stuart,

Glad to hear your Dad liked "The Insider" so much! It is a class film, and is my most watched DVD!

I would recommend "Gladiator" to him (and your mum), plus "Chicken Run", as well. The former is a good, solid drama, not unlike "The Insider" albeit a little less serious, and will remind your Dad of all those Sword N Sandal epics he probably saw when he was a lad. Also with "Chicken Run", the fact that it's set in 1940's Yorkshire, and pastiches all those old War films should probably get their taste-buds rolling, plus there's no bad language, sex or violence in it!

Hope that helps a little bit,

Pooch

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Try Anna and the King, Jodie Foster again, so they may enjoy it, bought it for my Mrs for christmas, she loves it, well she loves the original as well, her birthdays in march, maybe she will get the original for her birthday. [​IMG]

Tim

------------------
    Perhap's today is a good day yo die

4. DaveG

DaveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My Mum and Dad are in their seventies, and
    their tastes vary from MGM musicals to
    Confessions of a ..... But one thing they
    and my mother in law like is a film with a
    begining, middle and end. Mind you me mum
    won't watch Gladiator because what happens to
    him in the end. But one genre they all like
    is murder mistery ie NO WAY OUT, SUSPECT or
    any John Grisham adaptation.
    Also you can't go wrong with a JAMES BOND
    movie.
    Just because your parents are in their sixties doesn't mean they have to watch old
    war films. But just for a laugh get your dad
    U571.

5. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +633
    Off the top of my head, what about - Waking Ned, Roseanna's Grave, Life Is Beautiful. If anymore spring to mind then I'll update.

By the way Stuart, the reason that you dad probably enjoyed The Insider so much is because he actually has good taste when it comes to films (unlike a few on this site). It is a superb film with a interesting story. The fact that its based on real events adds to it.

[This message has been edited by SOK (edited 17-01-2001).]

6. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it seems, SOK! But as far as I was concerned, my father has NO interest in movies at all. A good documentary or science program, yes, but movies => disposable. Hence the surprise.

But, in sending them The Insider, I had chosen something I thought would achieve the results. And I scored! Much to my surprise.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks, I'll look into them.

The DVD player was more aimed at my mother, who does like films, much the same ones as I do in fact.

Stuart

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    Well the only films my mum has watched in the last 3 years are

CHICKEN RUN
    TOY STORY
    TOY STORY 2
    and UP AND UNDER

now my dad is a different story.

He has all my old cinema gear at the moment including my DVD player that I had in 97 and he is well up for a good film. I currently have around 300 DVDs and I guess he has seen them all.

He is a huge action fan and I guess DIE HARD is his favourite film. Although he is a big fan of films from the 60s and early 70s. He is also a big JOHN WAYNE, CLINT EASTWOOD and other western fan