Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DVD Movie Deleted scenes

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by jbsc00, Apr 13, 2005.

1. jbsc00

jbsc00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in dvd's that have scenes which have never been shown on tv. This could be due to content, not appropriate for rating, studio executives choice, running time etc.

I have had a think, and had a look through my own collection and the obvious ones are;
    Star Wars movies
    Alien movies
    Indiana Jones
    Jaws
    The Exorcist movies, in particular Exorcist:The Beginning
    Highlander 1 & 2.
    The Wicker Man
    Virtually all the films of Paul Verhoven

I remember all the video nasties from the early 80's, there is plenty of material available on them on the web. The problem with those is that 95% have never been seen on tv, even in a cut form.

So far i have only come up with mainly blockbuster films. I would be interested in finding interesting scenes from other films which have never been shown on tv. Interested also in different cuts of films, particularly those which have never been seen on tv.
    Also interested in movies which have had updated special effects eg. Highlander 2.
    Particularly interested to hear about scenes that can be sourced on dvd from any of the regions.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any useful info.

2. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    you probably already know due to the verhoeven reference, but there were really heavy cuts to Robocop for it's television showing. This included heavy cutting to the ED209 office scene, Murphy death scene and the toxic waste scene as well as badly dubbing out every occurance of the f-word using things like "funkster"

3. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +909
    Hi,

I remember watching "An American Werewolf in London" , perhaps on C5, about 18 months or two years ago. It was riddled with cuts to the degree that the film actually made no sense whatsoever.

Eventually I had to turn it off, pity as I enjoy a good comedy :D

Regards
    Keith Hurst

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Some of the most notoriously censored films, shown on British TV, include:

Basic Instinct
    Starship Troopers
    Runaway Train
    Freaks
    RoboCop (and RoboCop 2)
    Midnight Run
    The Untouchables
    The Postman Always Knocks Twice (1980's version)
    Nine And A Half Weeks
    Child's Play
    most of the James Bond films
    stuff by Derek Jarman
    Aliens
    Beverly Hills Cop (and BHC 2)
    Heaven's Gate
    Soldier Blue
    Wild Orchid
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (It's still cut today, for TV showings!)
    The Terminator
    Terminator 2: Judgement Day (Rarely ever shown uncut on UK TV)
    Home Alone

There are hundreds of others, but there are many differences for scenes being edited for TV, and scenes being edited/removed/changed for DVD because of director/writer/studio intereference.

DVD's often contain extra scenes/footage, or a longer or alternate version of the main film, and/or Deleted Scenes, for completely different reasons to a TV showing/version of a film.

DVD's allow directors/studios to release material that previously wasn't suited for a cinema release, often due to a heavy running time. (Most studios still feel that two hours is the most that an average adult cinema-goer will sit still for; and that 80-85 minutes the most a child will sit still for, for a kids film!)

TV, however, is completely different. A few years ago, a lot of 18-rated films couldn't be shown uncut on British TV, because of the ITC (Independant Television Commission) who laid down rules as to what was or wasn't acceptable. Since OFCOM has now taken the ITC's place, and because of times changing, most films are shown uncut, except for when they air around the 9pm watershed, in which case a terrestrial channel will edit the film, so they can play the film earlier (and, in turn, get more viewers), than air the film uncut, but from 10pm. ITV is the worst offender, and nearly always cut films, more often than not, to reduce the running time, rather than for censorship purposes. And they still have a nasty habit of editing kids (or U and PG rated) films, even if they are transmitted past the 9pm watershed! :mad:

The BBC, C4 and Five, however, tend to air most films, uncut, most of the time.

Pooch