1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Menus which contain spoilers!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Lex, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Does anyone else find it infuriating when DVD menus contain clips which give away plot details!
    You go for months avoiding hearing spoilers from tv/forums/magazines and then when you finally sit down to watch the DVD and it gives it all away!

It seems to be especially bad with TV series - For example I have just started watching season 2 of Smallville and the animated intro to the menu seems to be filled with clips from later on in the series, you can't skip it so I just end up looking away!
    Others which are really bad are the Buffy & Angel DVDs - they have little montage pictures as part of the design when you select each individual episode... It doesn't need to be much to spoil it, just a picture of a character gives away the fact that they will be in the episode, even when the producers have purposefully omitted their name from the opening credits!

Really annoys me!! :mad:

2. chris110

chris110
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It wouldnt be so bad if the montage of pictures were from the season before instead of the current one you are about to watch.

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    yeah but you know what's worse? When the blurb on the back of the box spoils the plot of the movie! Or one of the pictures on the case is of the end of the movie. That's always annoying.

4. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,162
    I agree completely, the one dvd which REALLY used to bug me was 24...

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    The 24 menu used to really bug me as well, especially when you also selected the individual episode as you would see a new character etc, i really hope they change this for series 3.

6. tomacwhite

tomacwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Its my big pet hate about DVDs. If I had only seen the Japanese version of Kill Bill Vol 1 and not seen it at the flicks or the R2 PAL or R1 versions, I would of got on a plane, flown to Japan and done a "The Bride in the house of blue leaves" on whoever chose to have major, major spoilers in the DVD front end of the Japanese version.. Luckily I saw it at the flicks, then R1 DVD..

One other thing I hate is fancy menus. OK, it looks really nice, but come on, just bring on the options and the movie.. Terminator 2 seemed to be really bad for this, where you waited what seemed like forever before you got what you want.. Sometimes I just wish VHS was here again.. None of that crap. Menus are cool - just keep them simple and fast. And NO spolilers!!

7. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Now, now blasphemy is not allowed here :nono:

8. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The series 4 Red Dwarf had extras containing characters from series 5! It means I can't lend it to a friend who hasn't seen the later shows with "
    Dwayne Dibley
    "

9. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    and another thing....never,never read the chapter list!

always gives the end away.

10. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    The mgm R1 land bond titles are horrible for start up delays. You have to "activate" the menu by pressing select before it will enter the menu. So you cant wander off, get a beer and then just hit play.

The Star Trek:The Next Generation animated title sequences are also really slow when you just wnat to watch one epsiode after the other. Very tedious :(

11. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the same on all my R2 Special Edition Bond films. It's not just R1. It is annoying though. On some films though, it's not just the start of the menu that has a delay. When you select an option, say Audio Setup', you sometimes get another clip from the movie or a long drawn out sequnce before the next menu.

12. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    As above the Bond Region 2 you have to press activate to get into the menu.
    Also Blade is a nightmare with the blood trail on the menu, infact it took me as long to set the damn thing up than it did to watch the movie :rolleyes:

13. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about those :censored: Simpson's full season box sets? You've got to spin that stupid wheel thingy 3 or 4 times before getting to the actual menu. And they don't have a "play all" option! :thumbsdow

But it's getting so that if I hear about an upcoming film that I really want to see, I have to stay clear of it 100%. That means no trailers (which give away faaaar too much nowadays), no reviews, no blurbs, and I can't even look at anything on the DVD until I've seen the film. (that includes that back of the DVD, as well as any booklets that come with it)

I was in a pretty interesting spot when I watched the LotR series. I'm one of the few people on the planet who hasn't read the books, and also didn't know how the story unfolded. So, I was able to go in with zero prior knowledge. That is, until I sat down to watch Return of the King in the cinema, and the film was preceded by an advert for the RotK video game, showing several very important scenes in the film you were about to watch!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

14. chris110

chris110
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the last season 5 stargate they have special features on the first 3 episodes of season 6! Thats really annoying aswell because I dont want to watch them before getting season 6 and watching the episodes first!

15. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    T3 is the same, loaded it up and straight away it showed loads of clips from the film.

16. griff_av

griff_av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really can't fault the bond DVDs they've got the best menu design I've seen, reflecting the plot in the audio/visuals/graphics 'activating' them is a little odd, but its just part of the theme... :)