dvd media future proof?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mobile04, Sep 20, 2007.

1. mobile04

mobile04
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a massive vhs collection that im currently putting on ritek g05 media
    i keep them in plastic slip sleeves.as them dvd cases simply take up too much room
    has any one ever came accross any problems from the start of when dvd r came out and over the year or so . found them discolour or have any rot .
    like them laser discs had .
    cheers av forums great input on digital media and hardware as always

2. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    i haven't had any problems personally, even cds i burnt about 6 years ago still work fine. and i always thought that because they're plastic, they won't rot or degrade anyway. and as long as you don't scratch them while handling, they should work properly forever.

i've heard of "organic dyes" being used in some dvd Rs, but don't know enough about them to comment on whether they are likely to rot or not, but i wouldn't think so.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    If you can find blanks which use "Taiyo Yuden" dye then these are reputed to be the most stable. I get mine from http://www.svp.co.uk/index.php

That said, I perform a readability scan from time to time on my earliest home-made discs (which are 18 months or so old) and have yet to encounter a read problem.

In any case, keep them in a dark place. Oh......and don't EVER stick paper labels to them; not even the ones that say that they are suitable.

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Hi Nigel

Can you tell me what software you use for the readability scan - Thanks.

Just as an aside... for those of you familiar with Panasonic / Taiyo Yuden RAM discs... which have the large 'Thumbprint' cutout from the inner card sleeve which exposes and indicates if a disk is in the case...I have noticed that a few of mine have darkened in this area as a result of light exposure ... despite them being routinely vertically stacked and effectively in the dark.

No obvious playback problems ... albeit I tend to use RAMs for editing and this 'print' would cover the 'end' of the disk as it fills - which doesn't always occur in practice.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    One of the components of the Nero toolkit (comes with Nero Burning-ROM).

6. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The first stack of blanks I bought were unbranded, and I would have done better to have thrown the money straight into the dustbin. Some were unwritable because the dye hadn't spread properly, others wrote OK but were unreadable after a few weeks, some of them lasted a couple of years but are now unreadable, and any that have seen daylight have turned yellow.

Also I must have used an unsuitable pen on some of them, because now the writing has migrated to the wrong side of the disks and wrecked them.

Since I started using decent-quality disks and proper pens, I've had no real problems with movie recordings. But I have still experienced a failure with a disk containing my PC's data files.

All in all, this hasn't done much for my confidence in DVD-R as a long term storage medium. I won't be throwing the VHS tapes away just yet!