1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD lip sync problems

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by saints, Jul 29, 2004.

1. saints

saints

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Toshiba 330e Multiregion DVD player and I noticed that speech seems to be just in front of the screen image.

At first I thought I was going mad so I asked my wife to watch it and she spotted it as well so I took it back and exhanged it for another, but I have exactly the same problem with the second Toshiba, the DVD I am playing is Babylon 5 series 3.

I was just wondering if this is a common problem with DVD discs or Players or am I just unlucky to have had 2 dodgy players?

2. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    try the b5 dvd on anothe player if you can. Its more likely the disc than the player in my exprience. Alternatively if you are listening through an amplifier setup there may be a delay option built into the amp for use with projectors etc.

3. chris110

chris110
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have a cheap old DVD player and the exact same thing used to happen. As soon as I changed to a different one it was all fine again :)

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    My kids both have a toshiba 330e multiregion in their bedrooms,never had any problems with lip sync it sounds like a disc problem to me.
    Cheers Gonzo :) .

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Got the B5 set in question and and no lip sync problems.

6. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    are you passing the audio through an amp? Perhaps that's causing the sound delay, if you are, try using a regular scart for the video+audio if you can and see if the problem persists. Not that its any sort of solution if you can't use an amp, but worth checking!

7. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    The only discs I have really experience significant lip-sync problems is the Aliens Quadrilogy - a couple of the films with "seamless branching" seem to cause my player problems (Harman Kardon DVD25).

8. grafzep

grafzep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Part of the difficulty is that once you've decided that the lipsync has slipped (assuming we're only talking about a couple of frames) it is extremely difficult to decide that its ok again. If you see what I mean.

It seems pretty obvious that you should try a selection of discs to see what to blame. If you don't have any video processing in the chain it is more likely to be the disc (the transfer, not your particular disc) than the player

9. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Where did saints go?

I'd like to know how he got on.

11. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Just read Foxy's piece on his website. This was also my experience, which is why I waited almost a year before buying a DVD player. In the early days Pioneer were the biggest offender of the lot with lipsync. Their "1" range including the 717 and 414 as mentioned by Foxy was really troubled by this.

Pioneer did learn their lesson from this and ensured that they really sorted the firmware problem out before releasing their next "2" range. In fact I remember a headline in a DVD mag's review for either the 525 or 626 proclaiming "Lip Sync Problems No More!" or words to that effect. They ended up with one of the most reliable range of players on the market (and still have).

The two test discs I used when I went for a demo of these machines were the two most notorious offenders of the day, "Lost In Space" and "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" which displayed some horrendous sync problems, particularly on (from the majors) Panasonic, Toshiba and Sony models. The new Pioneers played them perfectly, proving once and for all the problem was mainly with the machines, not the discs.

I think I read at the time that it was something to do with flags that occur periodically in the digital bitstream that are used to lock sound to picture. Apparently if a disc was authored with too few of these flags in the stream, then the firmware of most machines had a hard time staying in sync. Something like that anyway... "Lock Stock..." was in fact one of the first discs to be reauthored in connection with this.

Accordingly, the first player I bought was the Pioneer 626D and for almost five years up until I upgraded to the 757i about a month ago, it played close on 2,000 different discs without a glitch. The only lip sync problem I have ever encountered was on the DTS track of the R1 "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" 2 disc set, in the closing section of the movie, but that turned out to be an authoring problem.