1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Life span

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jasoon, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Jasoon

Jasoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Anyone know how long a DVD is supposed to last?
    Also how long there warranted for?

I got Toy Story The Ultimate Toy Box when it came out in the US
    Now when I try to play it, halfway thou Toy Story Two I get the picture braking up also the special features refuse to work.
    After having a look at the disk I noticed that there seems to be what I can only describe as a watermark between the plastic bit of the disk and the label, I know that non of my disks have been anywhere near water.
    Anyone know what could have caused this?

Jason….

2. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Sounds like a problem with the adhesive holding the label to the disk, possibly just a bad batch.

Re lifespan of DVDs, I've got CDs that are nearly 20 years old with no problems, so I'd imagine DVDs would normally be just as durable.

I think the warranty issue will be between you and the supplier, and a big factor is the how long ago you bought it. If it's over a year you've probably had it (unless you have a very nice supplier)

RDB :)

3. Big Al

Big Al
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have exactly the same problem with BOx set edition of Fantasia 2000 . First half plays fine, second picture blocks, sund distorts and eventually stops playing.

The same milky colour is visable on the playing side of the DVD

Big Al

4. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like the old LaserRot of LaserDiscs. This was due to imperfections in the pressing process.

Damm I'm now going to have to watch all my 210 discs to look for it.

Well someone has to do it ;-(

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a feeling this might be a casing issue. I had exactly the same problem with Toy Story 2. The reason I came up with was that it was a bugger to get out of the case and, every time I pulled it out, it would bend slightly. After a few 'watches' it began to break up. Now I keep my discs in sleeves and have had no further problem with my replacement TS 2.