DVD Life EXpectancy

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dakara, Aug 14, 2004.

1. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly,the manufacturer's claims for their products appear to be somewhat[??] overoptimistic,and this makes it all the more important that we choose only those discs which are the most suited for our particular recorder.This is why I consider the Thread 'DVD File'to be most meaningful,since the faults,in general,do not appear to rest with the recorders,but rather,with the media,so please don't stop sending in those reports.Maybe then, some clever person, with time on their hands, could make up a table showing the most suitable media brand for each recorder.That would help us all out,and perhaps even make the manufacturers aware of our dissatisfaction with their cavalier approach .
    For anyone interested in DVD care and handling,I highly recommend the following independant sites.There is a lot of very interesting reading there.

http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/sec4.html
    http:palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/av/2001/01/msg00010.html

May there be no more Coasters.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    I could say something quite rude about the above statement on one of the sites you quote although I certainly agree with the general comments on the site. It doesn't take into account that over 95% of DVD+/-R(W) media is made in China by cheap and cheerful production processess. If anyone still has a working DVD-R/DVD+R 100 years after burning it though I would be very surprised.

3. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should have mentioned that I do not necessarily agree with all of the opinions included therein :nono:

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Will anyone have a working VHS or DVD player in 50 years,time let alone 100!

There are viable storage options being developed with huge multiples of the capacity of current systems and we will all have moved on within at most 20 years anyway.

I suspect everything previously recorded will be stored centrally, with instant access to anything for a small fee, and the only things for personal storage will be personal data and video records.

5. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite true Ken Maybe we are worrying too much about storage life.Unless there are equally rapid advances in Medical Science we will all be as dead as the Dodo in a hundred years anyway,probably even less.Perhaps Cryogenics can provide a solution.Deep-Freeze your Brain,and See Tomorrow :eek:

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    No but there will still be working Sanyo Beta decks

7. get1a2get1a2

get1a2get1a2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well my dvds are 101 years old and they are still going strong slight color loss but nothing to worry abount