1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD lens cleaner - anybody used one?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by skyline32, Sep 13, 2005.

1. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had no replies from Toshiba on whether it's possible to replace the drive unit on my ailing RD-XS32, as a last resort I thought I might try a lens cleaner to see if that's the problem.

Has anyone used one of those "furry disc" type cleaners and if so are they any good?

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have used a cd lens cleaner, works fine as long as you follow the instructions, ie on mine it first plays track one which has a voice on it telling you to forward to track 3, this takes the brushes over the lens, and then track 3 plays music so you can check if performance has improved. No need to buy a specific dvd cleaner, as most players will also play music cd's.

3. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have only used a CD lens cleaner once in a CD player, but I am not fond of them. I suppose it goes back to the cassette days, when I would not touch a head cleaning cassette and done the job with a cotton bud and isoproanal.

It is not as easy to do with DVd players, so I tend to leave alone. the only time I will use one of these lens cleaner is when/if I have a problem.

I have got a DVD player that is about 3 years old now and for 12 months it had been stuck in the corner, I set it up a few days back, to test a DVD and after blowing the cobwebs and dust off the thing, I put the DVD in and it worked.