dvd layer changes...

newbie265

Established Member
Reaction score
are really frustrating me on my music dvds.In some cases they freeze for a good few seconds spoiling the song.Are there any dvd players out there that eradicate these changes enabing a smooth flow??
I will be upgrading my simple system soon possibly getting a pioneer package with the i-link.

Pioneers aren't particularly fast at the change.

but don't freeze for even 1 second

I believe the upmarket Denons have a data buffer which effectively removes the layer change pause.

Denon 2200 or above.
or htpc.

i'm thinking of going for another 2900, as the layer change on my dv89 is really starting to **** me off.:mad:

I have had a Denon DVD2200 for the last four weeks and can confirm there is NO pause upon layer change at all.After watching DVD's for the last four years it actually seems weird(in a nice way!)not to see one part way through every film.If this is a big issue for you then the 2200(or 2900 if you want to spend that much)will eradicate said problem.Whether the cheaper Denon's have the memory buffer that cures this I'm not sure,but if you do a bit of searching it won't take much to find out.

i think you will find that the dvd1400 or one of the lower ones, says it has a 2meg buffer, but that does not get rid of the layer change as a couple of people found out.

The 2200 is a good player, but the 2900 is just better with CD playback.
I have had both in the past and i could not see any difference between PQ between the 2200 and 2900.
Plus the 2900 is quite a bit bigger and looks a lot better when sitting in your rack.( looks like it cost more than what it is IMO
).

The 2200 and 2900 will both play sacd's and dvd audio disc's,along with discs encoded with the jpeg and mp3 format's.So if you want a slideshow of your photo's on that big screen,or to listen to music for about ten hours without changing the disc,you can!But let me stress again;If you are that p:censored:d off with the pauses upon layer change,a 2200 or 2900 will not disappoint :smashin:

Edited for punctuation.

Thanks for that seems like the one for me what are the 2200 going for at the moment ,I can't find any.Pity it doesn't have the I-link system but then I'm not sure this isn't just for convienience only or is the quality better?I was thinking of ax5i or something similar.

try here
http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/Den2200.htm

This is where i got mine from and they were quite quick with delivery.
Not sure about i-link as i have never heard it......i'm happy enough with the analouge and digital connections for now.

The ax5 seems to get good reviews, but i have never heard one, maybe you should have a look at the denon 3805 as well.
I was thinking of getting a ax5 a little while ago but IMO pioneer gear is just so BUTT UGLY at the moment........i much prefered the styling of the older range.......626,737...etc and i think the denon gear looks nice, especially in gold, you could have a nice looking, matching 3805 with the 2200 sitting next to it, or the next shelf up......or you could have a good looking 2200 next to the butt ugly ax5.....the chice is yours....;)

One of the Forum Sponsors www.avland.co.uk is doing the 2200 for £479.95.I got mine from www.hifibitz.com for £529.99,reason being I haven't got the dosh right now and they do nine months deferred payment!Worth keeping in mind if funds are low,I just look at the price difference as an unofficial interest charge,it doesn't hurt so much then!

Why does the 2200 have no layer change when it has the same 2MB buffer as the lower range one's?

:confused:

Newr Denons have an 8mb buffer!!

Surely this will do away with the layer change?!

Anyway the newer models are the 2910 and 3910. Both excelent for video, but the 3910 is better for audio.

AML said:

Anyway the newer models are the 2910 and 3910. Both excelent for video, but the 3910 is better for audio.

So the 2910 is replacing the 2200?

AML said:

According to Denon USA, the 2200 spec has an 8MB buffer, which explains why people haven't noticed a layer change.

:)

Promised Land said:
I have had a Denon DVD2200 for the last four weeks and can confirm there is NO pause upon layer change at all.After watching DVD's for the last four years it actually seems weird(in a nice way!)not to see one part way through every film.If this is a big issue for you then the 2200(or 2900 if you want to spend that much)will eradicate said problem.Whether the cheaper Denon's have the memory buffer that cures this I'm not sure,but if you do a bit of searching it won't take much to find out.

Have you tried it with Spiderman (first one) the fight scene in the ally?

Colonel Burton said:
Have you tried it with Spiderman (first one) the fight scene in the ally?

All the Denon players from the 2200 and above to the top model have an 8MB buffer, as do the new one's being launched, so I'd say Spiderman should be ok, otherwise the top model would have a bigger buffer.

Please confirm this Promised Land

:smashin:

Well i bought the 2200 yesterday (£300 for superfi sheffield) and tried it today and sorry to say that the layer change is not good it jumps pretty bad but that`s just my copy of the movie gonna try it with another copy soon
oh and the 2200 only has a 2mb buffer

Colonel Burton said:
Well i bought the 2200 yesterday (£300 for superfi sheffield) and tried it today and sorry to say that the layer change is not good it jumps pretty bad but that`s just my copy of the movie gonna try it with another copy soon
oh and the 2200 only has a 2mb buffer

The US site spec says 8MB, but the UK site doesn't say either.

What other DVD's have you tried on the 2200?

What buffer has the 2900 got?

Not that many but i knew a lot of players had problems with this one in the past this is why i tried this one first, if you look Here near the bottom it tells you "Independent power supplies for audio and video processing stages, discrete audio and video circuits, all metal case and aluminium fascia, 2MB buffer memory - gives seamless layer transfer, 4:3 and 16:9 output options, on-screen display"

Radiohead said:
I've yet to see any layer change on my 2900.

Even Spiderman and how big is it's buffer?

Why would the 2900 have better audio/cd playback than the 2200?. Is it just the DAC or are there other factors as well.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom