1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Layer change

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by richjthorpe, Sep 7, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

Just been reading the DVD player forum and there is still a problem with DVD Layer changes, even on the top end stuff.

Can you rip DVDs to your hard drive and play from the hard drive to eliminate the layer change problem ? Is there as much a problem on PC DVD drives ?

Richie.

2. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I play DVDs off HD and direct from my DVD drive in a HTPC and have never noticed a layer change. Unlike my Pioneer 868 which has a noticable pause at the layer change.

3. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi

use DVD Shrink
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/

it will do exactly what you want as well as allowing you to create seamless compikations / joining 2 part movies (or more together)

RON

4. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I've just popped a couple of DVD's in my NEC3500 where I know where my DVD player, a Limit 900se, trips up, and nothing, smooth as you like.

I don't use my PC for watching DVD's

5. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    As the glitching caused by a layer change is literally the laser focusing onto another layer on the DVD then of course there can be no layer change when the files are on a hard disk.

6. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Most computer DVD drives have data buffers.
    My Plextor has 8MB which I guess is enough for the drive to ride a layer change.
    Additionally they can also spin faster than 1X which will help fill the buffer.

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Using my hcpc i do not notice any layer changes by either watching movies from the hd or even using the dvd drive.

8. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I've never noticed a layer change even on a 7 year old 2 Speed Hitachi GD2000 DVD ROM, then only way DVD Rom's suck is when you paue a dvd and then play it, take a few secods for the drive to spin up....

9. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    How long does it take to rip a DVD onto a PC ? Lets say you've got a Sempron 2800+ with 512MB RAM, 52 speed DVD RAM Drive. Is it minutes or hours ? Just a rough guide.

10. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    10-20 minutes, you need a good DVD Rom drive like an LG 8163 and you can rip in under 10 minutes...

11. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    i use dvdidle to get round region coding and css (my ati component adaptor won't work with copy protected dvds at >480 res) ... i've got it set to cache the dvd to a 1gb hd file - result is a kinda realtime rip :)

12. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so, Hawklan, how do you join multi disc films?

i can get it to rip them to a single dir and they play in one go (if you know what i mean :)) but when it gets to the vobs off the next disc the chapter/time info is reset?

talking about lord of the rings films btw :)

13. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Actually, if you don't use the layer change removal feature in Shrink. There will still be a pause at the layer change. This is because the pause is inside the IFO's and Shrink changes it.

It also applies if you would burn a single layered DVD and unticked the layer change option.

Shrink cannot do a seamless compliation. There will be a slight pause (length depends on the player itself) between each title.

14. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read on Xlobby forums:

'When I tried DVDShrink I simply re-authered the parts one after the other, then backed up.
    So are you then suggesting to go to the last few frames of the first title and see if there are black frames and remove them, and do the same with the start of the next title? Is it not actually the title change that causes the slight pause? Anyhow, I'll fire up DVDShrink and play around a bit more. Thanks again! Smile

------EDIT------

OK, just tried the above and it works really well. Very Happy

Apparently, the first title has a few black frames at the end, crop these and join the next part works a treat. The music even fades correctly from the old scene over into the new scene between title switches. Absolutly seamless, fantastic.'

Not yet used it myself so no idea as to how small the delay is but this guy seems to be happy with it so its worth a go...

15. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    There will still be a slight pause between titles using Reauthor mode as it goes from title 1 to title 2 etc. It will happen every time.

The only way to get seemless is to use DVD2One's seemless join mode, TMPGEnc DVD Author or DVDRemake for those more technically minded.

16. originalbadboy

originalbadboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Haven't noticed a layer change on a DVD in years.

HTPC's tend to buffer more data to memory than a typical DVD player, so you should never really see a layer change on a HTPC.

I watched 'Contact' a few weeks ago on the original DVD, which was one of the first DVD's ever to come out (I checked the date on the back, 1998 was when I got it ... :eek:), and although it shows its age in terms of picture quality and menu's I never noticed the layer change, and it was always very noticable on my first DVD player that I owned.

17. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Plenty cheap DVD players have DVD ROM drives inside with the same buffer. However, many are crap which is why some players play up after a while. MY Ebench player had a rubbish Sanyo drive and after six months, it couldn't play a DVD without skipping or freezing continously.