1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD in PC what use?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Faust, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Not strictly a topic for this forum I know, but one which has been puzzling me and is closely related to DVD . A work colleague bought a new PC last week complete with DVD re-writer. He smugly went off to the local library to hire some recent film titles with the intent of copying them. To say he was miffed next day at work was an understatement. He said none of the DVD Video disks he had hired would copy. He reckoned they had some sort of encryption written into them. Is this so? and if true then what is the point of having a DVD re-writer in your PC? I know you can use DVD to store large amounts of data, as well as make your own home movie DVD's etc. However, I would have thought a lot of people expect to be able to do the things they do with their CD re-writers i.e. copying.

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes (Macrovision , CSS etc)

You've answered that with your next bit below

It is of course possible to copy the DVD to your hard drive , stripping encryption out , re-author & re-encode it (because commercial discs are dual layer & can hold nearly 9Gb while your burnable DVD-R only hold 4.7Gb) to fit a movie onto disc with excellent quality.

Of course we get into the argument about what you are OR are not entitled to copy & your mate doesn't sound like he is entitled to be copying DVDs borrowed from the library
    :nono:

3. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Dvd films do come with protection so you cannot just do a straight copy of them.
    There are many programs on the market nowadays that enable you to make copies of films but of course the films you are copying should allready be owned by yourself and you only legal excuse would be you want to backup the disc incase it got damaged.

Cd writers can copy unprotected software but the vast majority of games cannot be copied without cracks etc.

Drphibes

4. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for the info guys. I will find it hard to suppress a smirk when I give him the bad news at work on Monday. Still, serves him right for bragging. He was so certain he was going to have this extensive copied cheapo DVD film library - ah well! such is life.

:laugh:

5. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am guilty of trying to copy a dvd, not on my pc but on one of my Panasonic dvd recorders. I also found out that there is software out there that will allow you to copy a copy protected dvd, although I haven't purchased any. It seems for the price you have to pay just to rent a dvd anymore, you might as well buy it, rather than try to copy it.

I hear that they are going to be coming out with music cds that are also going to have copy protection on them. I'm sure that when they do, there will more than likely be some kind of software that will defeat that as well!

Tunes Man.

6. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There is PC freeware software for this. Again you should only copy that which you have a legal right to.

They've been out for sometime. Ridiculous though. The companies go through all that cost & what does it take to defeat it ? A marker pen :laugh:

7. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    A marker pen?? Have I been missing something? please explain.

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That's to do with recent efforts to copy protect music CDs.

Strategic use of a marker pen on the disc can defeat it. As I said ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.