Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DVD in car and stereo headunit

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by dextrovert, Mar 21, 2005.

1. dextrovert

dextrovert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this has probably been asked but i can not see it anywhere.
    Is it possible to hook up a DVD and a Stereo head unit or can you only hook it one or the other.
    The reason i am asking is because i wouldn't mind hooking up a DVD set but i want to keep my stereo headunit.
    If its any more informative, i have a Ford Ka.
    cheers

2. pauldrage

pauldrage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    if you find somewhere to mount the dvd player (in dash one?)
    then you can mount it, and run the cables into a screen?
    is this what you mean?
    usually i am guessing a dvd player will take power.. and then have av output into a screen (av input). and the screen would take power and sound output with av input.

A ford ka probably doesnt have enough places for both a dvd player, screen, and headunit?

If you had a flipout screen dvd (all in one) player you wouldnt need a headunit / stereo as it doubles up.?

3. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    This is something I am planning to do in my new Zafira. If your Ka unit has an Aux input, you could purchase a dedicated DVD player, mount it somewhere like the glovebox, or under a seat, run stereo out to the head unit and video to a screen - if you get a screen which accepts audio in as well, you could split the audio signal so that you could watch a movie and listen to sound via a headphone connection on the screen itself - CD for the driver, movies for the kids! One option I am looking at is an all-in-one roof mount DVD/flip down screen, with wireless headphones - audio signal also wired back to the HU via aux selection (Sony, VDO, various Korean and US brands do this).

Alternatively you could go for a high end Kenwood, Pioneer or Alpine which has dual zone capability - with a DVD changer and screen you can dedicate DVD playback via a screen, again with headphone output, and keep the radio or CD for the car speakers. More expensive, but do-able.