DVD Importing

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by adamo, Apr 22, 2002.

1. adamo

adamo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please can someone help!!

I run a small village video shop and people have been asking if i sell Region 1 DVD's. Does anyone know the law on importing and re-selling Region 1 DVD's or where i even get them from?

Many thanks in advance

Adam

2. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Adam,

The sale of Region 1 disks is a grey area. Personal importation services seem to be the way of getting around the law.

Other members will add more, I'm sure.

BH

3. adamo

adamo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your help

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,000
    There are two bits of law you need to concern yourself with.

1) It is ILLEGAL to SELL any video material that has not been certified by the BBFC. ALL imported material falls into this category. However, it isn't a criminal offence, it is a civil offence. That means that "somebody" has to prosecute you. Usually, it is local Trading Standards. They vary from area to area. Some are really proactive; others pay lip-service to their responsibilities, visiting shops and confiscating material occasionally; some just don't bother.

2) It is infringement of copyright to distribute material other than via official channels. For example, if Warner (UK) own the rights to, say "Swordfish", and you sell a version from the US, Warner (UK) have lost out on the deal and may choose to prosecute, or may get FACT involved. The likelihood of their doing so will probably depend on the "size" of your operation ie how much damage they think you are doing.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Adam,

As others have said, it is illegal to sell ANY non-BBFC approved material. As such, I wouldn't risk trying to get into the whole "reselling of R1 material". It's simply not worth your risk, your job, or your life! Bear in mind, that you could (in theory) a) lose your business, or b) go to prison. Don't risk it!!

If your customers want R1 material, direct them to many of the online e-tailers who sell the titles they want. Alternatively, you could find out the price of titles for them, get them to pay you in cash, and then use your credit card to purchase the material on their behalf.

That way, you aren't breaking the law, and your customers get R1 material!

Pooch

6. geenuis

geenuis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't remember if it is just warner Dvd's (I don't think it is) but the store at my local warner village sells region 1's, however i never buy them because they are far more expensive than buying online. :rolleyes:

7. Ignatious

Ignatious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alternatively, you could find out the price of titles for them, get them to pay you in cash, and then use your credit card to purchase the material on their behalf.

I am a little confused by this Mr Pooch. As you correctly point out, re-supply of non-certified titles is an offence. Unless I am very stupid (a possibility), what you have written sounds like a classic definition of 'supply'. Are you inciting Mr Adamo to commit an offence? I would hope not, being a moderator and all.

Another scenario worth thinking about is if Mr Adamo considered taking your advice, and ended up being charged with supply, lost his business, reputation etc. He would be pretty cross and might look for someone to sue for damages. He might decide that you had commited a negligent misstatement and try to sue you? He mght not succed, but surely it would be best not to find out? Obviously the above is my own opinion and not to be taken as a definitive statement of law!

8. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We won't....

9. Ignatious

Ignatious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: