1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD image vs HD image

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PaulBudrow, Mar 31, 2005.

1. PaulBudrow

PaulBudrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just hooked up my new prog scan dvd player to my philips plasma. Is DVD image quality slightly less sharp then HD picture? The DVD picture is fabulous but just not as sharp as my HD channels.

I saw an dvd that converted HD signal. Would that result in a clearer picture?

Thanks

2. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    HD resolutions (720p and 1080i) are much higher than the DVD resolution, so naturally the image would appear sharper due to the increased number of pixels. You can't get a HD image from today's regular DVDs, the information isn't there. Upscaling won't produce sharper images. I suggest waiting for Bluray or HD-DVD!

3. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
  4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    i've tried superbit and found the difference neglible...

5. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Superbit DVDs are at the same resolution as regular DVDs. The bitrate is allegedly higher than with regular DVDs (although since they always include both Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks I doubt there's much difference), resulting not in a sharper picture but theoretically fewer compression artifacts. I have a couple of Superbit DVDs (Spiderman and Vertical Limit) and I can safely say there's no difference in terms of image quality compared to the regulars (I do like the DTS soundtrack however, which is why I bought them).

The only real alternative I know of on DVD are WMV-HD movies, which are in true HD format. However, this is not MPEG 2 and you'll need a computer to play them.