DVD image and sound not in time

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rick106, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Rick106

Rick106
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've recently got a new dvd player, its the H&B DVD-5415S. On a couple of my dvdr's and vcd's the sound and the image on the screen aren't in time. You hear the sound a few milliseconds before you see them speak and it gets a bit frustrating. I would like to find out what this problem is caused by. It could be:
    a) the scart cable that came with the package, which isn't a very good one, but it is quite thick, so well insulated.
    b) the dvd player
    c) the vcd/dvdr's. (i haven't actually got any real dvd's to try)

Any ideas on what it could be and how to solve it?
    Also i was thinking about upgrading the scart cable but I still only want to spend around £20. Any recommendations? Thanks,
    Rich

2. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which dvd's does it happen with? as i have the same problem with R1 Moulin Rouge DTS
    As for scart try Prowire see LE CONCEPTS they have it for £18

3. Rick106

Rick106
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ALI (will smith) is the most obvious.

4. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DTS track or DD

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first suggestion would be to buy, or rent if finances are tight, a proper DVD and see what happens. Ideally get an official DVD version of a film you're currently having problems with.

If it works OK then you'll know not to use (presumably?) copies.

Worth noting though that although DVD is often touted as the supreme creation of all things ever in the history of the World... it's often not. I have quite a few DVDs where the sound/picture synch is out enough to spoil the film.

As Philip says, the R1 DTS version of Moulin Rouge is a classic example of 'When Visuals and Audio Go Bad' (copyright SKY TV).

6. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juboy do you have Moulin rouge and have same prob?

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did have Moulin Rouge as I was interested to see the film. I tried watching it in DTS but found the synch problem too distracting.

Watched it in DD but then sold it because, although Nicole Kidman is indeed the Queen of all she surveys, the film itself was dire in my opinion.

The only good musical I've ever seen is South Park The Movie :)

8. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interesting to see that you had same problem, although the film is superb. Is there a fix for it do you think or do I have to live with such a problem! What player were you using?

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the problem using a Panasonic A360, Toshiba 210 and a Toshiba 510.

Three out of three suggests to me it's the disc at fault.

10. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a panasonic so there may be a link I am getting a tosh tonight for latest upgrade will try it and see if it is the disc but I am quick to blame the disc from what you say

11. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the fact that the DD version works fine and all my other DTS discs are OK does tend to suggest the disc.

You'll also find loads of other people on this and other forums have expressed the same concern with Moulin Rouge DTS.

12. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    point taken I may try to email fox see what they say

13. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Thanks for buying our product' probably :)

14. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    funny, but we could a mass email campaign of all moulin rouge owners and ask fox to look at this forum, may send us compensation, although I don't live in a dream world so won't hold my breath

15. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    The DTS track of Moulin Rouge has got Lip Sync problems. It´s not your players. Some amps have a delay option to help with this, though it´s usually higher end amps (Denon A1SR etc).

16. Rick106

Rick106
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't actually got a DD or DTS setup yet, its just the sound from my tv that seems to be ahead of the action. Anyway i'll go out and try a real dvd and see how that does. Even though it is supposed to play DVDr's and Dvdrw's. Anyway thanks for the advice,
    Rich

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,990
    If your watching 'home authored' VCDs/DVD-Rs the audio sync problem may be just a failure of the authoring process. Displaced and/or stretched audio is common place when authoring on your PC and takes time (and care) to sort out. This is not a failure of your player to read DVD-R etc but a failure of whoeever made the disk.

18. snyphr

snyphr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem 1) Vcd's-

A)VCD's can be burnt upto 40x these days. Even the best of dvd players have problems reading these especially considering the various different dyes used on different disc and speed that they're recorded (the faster you write the closer the tracks the harder it is for playback on for some lasers..not all)....

B)Non-original material....as they say "you get what you pay for"...

Soultuion > Try a pressed VCD (original), look on the web there plenty of retailers. Should be in sync.

Problem 2)DVDR (which one DVD-R or DVD+R?)

A)Does your player officially support DVDR playback (DVD-R or DVD+R?) i.e is it in the user manual or written oon the box? If not then you very lucky to get playback of any sort.

B)Media issue. Some players like some dvdr's and not others.

Solution> Experiment. Not all media is compatible with all machines. Usually the mainstream branded discs i.e Verbatim, TDK etc. work well, cheap discs don't.