Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

DVD Idle Pro - Anyone use it with their LCD Projector?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Tempest, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    Just been reading about DVD Idle Pro and it sounds very good.

Apart from doing other things, it seems whilst watching a DVD it spins the DVD drive up faster than normal DVD playback speed (1x ?) and caches the data to RAM and to your hard drive.

So after watching approx 1/3rd of the movie all the data has been streamed off your DVD drive and is being pulled from RAM and your Hard Drive.

Saving Noise, and wear on your DVD Player, also if you are using a laptop saving power as your battery does not have to spin the drive for the whole 2 hours anymore.

Anyone use is, and/or know if it at all affects image quality?

If you are watching the same DATA then I don't suppose it matters where it's coming from does it?

Here's a link to it's homepage:
    http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-idle-pro.htm

I like the sound of this (esp for my laptop) but also desktop as well, but never heard it mentioned before.
    Sounds like a win win piece of software.

Anyone?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't believe it can work quite as you describe. :)

After watching 1/3 of a DVD you've read maybe 1.5Gb or so, meaning there are still 3Gb of data remaining on the DVD .. where is this going to be cached? The only place would be the swapfile and having a 3Gb swapfile is going to have some knock-on effects as Windows tries to manage it.

I use AnyDVD which has a similar feature (though how it works I've never bothered to discover), however to be honest it makes little difference, I think you'd need a pretty noisy drive to make it useful.

I think the fact you haven't heard of it may indicate its' popularity :) ... many people of course use DVD Region Free, its' partner product.

3. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    The 1/3rd a DVD was just a figure I plucked out the air.
    Actually from their web site it says:

For example: a 6X-speed DVD drive will only work for 15 minutes when you are watching a 90 minutes DVD movie.

I know my DVD drive which is nothing special can read a whole DVD in, in about 10 to 15 mins, so that figure they give sounds about right theoretically.

I think it will be default fill your actual memory (ram) up by a certain about (depending on how much you have in the machine) then of course to windows swapfile.

So (if we go with what they say) after about 15 mins your DVD player stops and your are then just watching cached data.

Actually I guess you are watching cached data right from the start.

I always thing of this like a water tank with a tap coming out.

We are watching the tap end which is running out slowely (to give us our picture) but our computer is able to fill the tank up much faster than the water is coming out, so after a certain period, the tank is full, it can stop filling and we just continue to watch the tap untill the tank is finally empty.

For a high(ish) spec machine I'd guess the hard drive and memory can easily handle the dvd data output to our software players and filling the cache up at the same time. I don't think by DVD software puts a particlally heavy load on my PC so I guess there is plenty of power left to handle the job this software is supposed to be doing.

On a desktop, apart from the spinning DVD (extra noise/ wear) I don't suppose we would gain a terrible lot.

But if on a laptop the DVD Drive was able to stop spinning for a whole 60 mins of a 90 min movie (only 15 mins to drive the motor) I'm sure this must be good for battery life, I mean the hard drive in the laptop is bound to be spinning anyway I'd guess most the time.

I don't know, but it SOUNDS an interesting idea (also handy that it gets rid of encrytpion etc) but that's a side issue I guess.

No-one on here seems to be using it (or heard of it so far)

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    I have used the software in the past.

From my past experience, it won't just read 15 minutes of data then nothing. It will read the DVD in the drive until the end of the film. There is no data access for five minute or so between reading sessions. So it does read, stop, read, stop, read, stop etc.

The data should be stored in memory and then fills up from a new reading session once the data is emptied from memory.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, I understand now, it spins up for short bursts cacheing a 'chunk' and then spins down while that chunk plays .. hence the 1/3 overall. :)

To be honest it doesn't sound as though it buys much, you get periods of inactivity and periods of hectic activity, I don't see the benefit. Surely it's noisiest when reading fast, certainly I never notice the drive running on those few occasions I play a DVD.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More suitable in HCPCs.

Moved.

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037

You won't normally hear the DVD as it only spins at 1x DVD speed.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Indeed, as shown when ripping at 8x for example. :)

My point being that using something the reads a lot faster must therefore be noisier, in which case what's the pay-off for using such a tool?

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    I use a pioneer slot loader which is quite noisy even at x1 speed.
    Initially I quite liked DVDidle as an alternative to ripping to HD.

It spins the drive up for about 7 mins then its quiet for 30 mins then 7 mins again. ( even if you specify a large amount of diskspace) The faster speed on the pioneer doesn't sound particularly noisier than the x1 but it was actually more distracting than just living with the background hum of x1 speed.
    Quite cool when you whip the disc out the drive before the film has even finished though!

It also has some interactual killer on it and a few bits and bobs. You can specify RAM or HD usage. Its a shame it doesn't cache the entire disc in one go but I think maybe they would get into trouble for selling a piece of comercial software that did this.

Also it interferes with the original regionkiller when RCE rears its head for some reason. You need the pro version with the multiregion capability.

I have a licence but I haven't used it for a while. It felt a bit too flakey sometimes.

10. Tempest

Tempest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,240
    Thanks for all the postings on this topic.

Irrespective of all the other arguments for and against it.

Do we feel that it would be good for laptops, and save battery life as they claim?

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Maybe but not as much as just ripping the entire dvd to HD in the frst place?