Dvd & Hdd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by scrapbook, Mar 15, 2004.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Are there many DVD players out there that just have a HDD built in but are not DVD recorders?

I am not sure I need a full DVD recording/editiing facility on the basis that I am only a casual recorder at times.

Sky + is nice, but I have NTL!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,600
    Personally I'm not really taken with the idea of a HDD/DVD player combo - I just don't really see the point. A HDD/DVDR combo allows you to timeshift on your HDD, edit on your HDD and then dub things you want to keep to DVD-R without a reduction in quality. Not everyone wants or needs this so why not consider a proper HDD recorder such as a TivO if your certain you never want to archive.

Alternatively if you need a DVD player and HDD functionality then why not get a standalone DVD recorder? Panasonic, JVC, Toshiba and Pioneer models all act like HDD models. Then if you do record something you want to keep then you just don't erase the disk.

3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    My main concern is that when buying a £400 - £600 DVD recorder you are not getting the quality of 'Player' that you would spending slightly less on a player only.

Unfortunately I could do without another box under the TV to keep the wife happy!!

I guess I wil just have to wait and see what is around the corner!