DVD/HDD recording widescreen

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by suzyb, May 2, 2007.

1. suzyb

suzyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently purchased a Samsung DVD-HR730 and have set everything up in the following way.

Sky TV scart -- LCD TV Scart 1
    Sky VCR scart -- DVD recorder AV 2
    DVD recorder AV 1 -- LCD TV Scart 2
    Aerial -- DVD recorder -- TV Aerial

I'm having a problem with the aspect ratio however. The TV does not switch to the correct aspect ratio when viewing TV (either sky or via the aerial) through the DVD recorder. Reading this post I understand this is because sky doesn't broadcast the switching signal on the VCR scart and trying the suggestion proved it. However why does the aspect ratio not switch when viewing via the aerial like it does when I watch TV via the tuner.

Also, I've recorded a few programmes that are broadcast in widescreen however when playing them back they are shown in 4:3. Is this because they were recorded from the sky VCR scart with no widescreen broadcast signal to be recorded. If so will it be fixed by connecting the DVD recorder to the TV scart of the sky box.

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Yes...it should...if you connect it to the DVDRs AV2 and then the DVDRs AV1 to AV1 on the TV.
    You didn't give the make/model no of your LCD TV but if it has a Digital (Freeview) tuner most of the channels are broadcast in widescreen although some (and some of the older programmes) are in 4x3 and the aspect ratio should automatically change itself.

3. suzyb

suzyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

The television is a Hitachi 26LD6200. It doesn't have a freeview tuner however it does automatically switch to widescreen when watching terrestial TV. It doesn't if I'm watching the terrestial signal through the dvd recorder using its tuner (and as I said when watching sky output via the vcr scart).

Incidentally, I've noticed the scart 2 socket on the TV also outputs, its currently set to output scart 1 however viewing that input on the DVD recorder doesn't automatically switch either.

I tried connecting the sky as suggested however I cant watch sky unless the DVD recorder is on. There is no picture, only the sound seems to be passed through and it doesn't appear as though I would be able to watch one channel whilst recording another with things connected that way.

Would I be able to get a splitter that takes 1 input and sends it to multiple outputs. Or would connecting both devices to sky TV scart not work.