DVD/HDD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by vr360homes, Jun 21, 2005.

1. vr360homes

vr360homes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please can somebody help me find the right DVD/HDD recorder. I have a Sony DV camcorder and want to be able to transfer the video to the DVD's HDD then edit it and burn to DVD.

Does anybody have or know of a DVD/HDD Recorder that will do this? If so how much control do you have on the editing?

Also how long does it take to burn the DVD's once you have the video all sorted as it takes hours on my Sony Laptop?

Thanks

Lee

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    It is best to get a model with a DV (Firewire) input. I’d suggest the Toshiba XS34. You could also consider the Sony 710/910, though these are European models; UK models with a Freeview tuner are to come soon. The popular Panasonic EH50 doesn’t have DV in, the older E95 does; in future I believe the EH60 will. I’m not up to speed with the current Pioneer models, but some of these also have DV in.

In terms of editing the video content, it is easy but limited to selecting the bits you want and cutting out the bits you don’t. You can’t add transitions, effects, etc like you can with editing software. For the DVD authoring part, you can make basic menus, including using an image from the video as the background (on the Toshiba at least, I don’t think the Sony can do this).

When you go to create your DVD, this only takes about 15 minutes for a full DVD. The encoding to MPEG for DVD is done when you first copy the video to the recorder (in real time). (This is the part that takes a long time on a PC).

If you want to do more advanced editing, but want to use the recorder for the DVD production, you should be able to export the edited video from the timeline on your PC direct to the recorder (though I’ve never done, this, others have).

Personally, I do my DV editing and DVD authoring on the PC, as I want the advanced editing and authoring. I only use the DVD/HDD recorder with DV input when I just want something quick – if I want to give someone a copy of some DV footage on DVD with little editing this is perfect. The main use of my DVD/HDD recorder is for recording from TV.

Mark

3. Gameplayers

Gameplayers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, may i ask what's the best recorder to get for less than £200 at the moment?
    Can i get HDD with it for such price?

mainly use for my sony minidv and copy of dvds.

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Under £200, probably the Panasonic DMRES10. But does't have HDD, or DV in.

The Toshiba XS34 has DV in and a HDD, I've seen it for £283 (there may be lower prices, but not sub £200).

Mark

5. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New Panasonic DMR-EH60 have DV-in terminal. Also all new Pioneer models do.

6. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    When's the EH60 being released?

7. Eric Badger

Eric Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I popped into my local Panasonic store yesterday to ask the very same question. I didn't refer to the unit by model no. but asked the guy behind the counter when their Freeview-enabled DVD/HD recorder would be available. He replied quite confidently that it would be about 2-3 weeks from now and was currently taking orders for them. He confirmed that they'll feature a 160GB HD and at least one input SCART. The best bit was the price he quoted me: £310!

Seems that Panasonic are having to respond to the recent offering from Toshiba which I nearly ordered until I found out about the above. I couldn't get a full written spec, so I'll be waiting for this and one or two published reviews before making a decision.

8. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    Eric Badger - WHat store quoted you £310 for an EH60?
    That seems a very small premium over the best EH50 prices (about £280).

At that price I'd order one without waiting for reviews, etc. I'm not interested in Freeview (no reception where I live) but would like the larger HDD and DV-in.

9. GARYFORUMS

GARYFORUMS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eh60 - freeview - does that mean as well or instead of an analogue tuner ?

thanks

10. Eric Badger

Eric Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The store is called shop@panasonic in Guildford. Appears to be the main franchised dealer in town. You can find their details on Panasonic's UK website.

I was surprised at the low price I was quoted and agree that it isn't exactly in harmony with their other DVD recorder prices. But then again they can't ignore the competition in the form of the RDXS34.

11. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So... Thanks God for Toshiba... Right?