1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD/HDD Recorder with DVB Terrestial Digital Tuner????

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by akash, Jan 18, 2003.

1. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know of any if there will be DVD/HDD recorders with DVB tuners soon.

I read in in home entertainment magazine today that thomson a releasing a DVD(player only)/HDD combo with a DVB tuner in spring.

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yea, Pace are releasing one in March. It features twin DVB tuners and a hard disk. There will be an on screen point and select guide, but this will only have now/next info because they arn't transmitting a proper guide at the moment - but it will let you enter manual timers.

[​IMG]

http://www.pacefreetoview.co.uk/02twin.asp

Nobody has a announced DVD writer/player/HDD/DVB tuner box but it's just a matter of time I think. I've got a Nebula DigiTV card that I use to record the mpeg data to my hard disk, the plan is to get a dvd burner when I can find somone who's got a Sony DRU-500A in stock!

3. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    cybersoga,

I see you have the same Nokia 221T box as me.
    How does the Nebula card picture compare to it?

Steve.

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I can't directly compare it because the picture on the nebula card is on my computer monitor, which is an 18" samsung LCD connected via DVI - completely different technology. Suffice to say, if I had a large wide screen monitor connected to the PC i'd much rather watch the picture from the nebula card as it's progressive scan and the mpeg 2 decoding & deinterlacing algorithms they have used ensure a _very_ high quality picture, better than playing the same recorded file with power dvd. Once i've got a DVD burner, i'll be able to playback the recorded mpeg 2 data on the DVD player, which should be a bit better than the Nokia 221T but probably wont be noticable. The only real difference between a real DVD and one recorded from a DTT broadcast would be a lower bitrate (usually) & stereo sound as opposed to DD/DTS.

5. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Okay thanks for the reply.