DVD/HDD Recommendations

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by joolze, Jul 22, 2004.

1. joolze

joolze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been waiting for the past 3.5 months for the Philips HDRW720 to be launched, but they keep putting the date back. It is now pencilled in for late August.

As far as spec goes, it ticked all the right boxes for me. However, I don't want to wait for ever, so I was wondering if there is anything else similar on the current market.

I am not bothered what DVD media it takes, but it must have a 80+gb HDD and be very simple to program. Ideally I want it to control my Sky (not plus) box. Is it possible to set recordings using the Sky Planner so that the DVD recorder automatically fires up when a program starts?

Sorry for the jibberish...I know what I mean, but I don't know if I have explained myself well enough.

T I A

Joolze

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Are you aware the machine has a number of quite serious limitations when compared against (all) other HDD/DVDR combos? For one it can't re-encoding content on the HDD to DVDR. Secondly it has no 'fit to disk' option. Thirdly it has the same editting 'features' as if you were editting on a DVD+RW disk, i.e. inaccurate. The plus side is you get the GuidePlus EPG although that has it's own issues such as not responding to last minute programme changes.

Yes - but then you can do this with most DVD recorders provided you use the VCR output on Sky.

Not being funny - but have you thought of getting Sky+ instead?

3. joolze

joolze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have considered Sky+, but as I only currently have the basic Sky package, it would end up costing me quite a bit extra to get it. Also, I would still need to get a DVD Recorder to archve stuff.

Am I right then in that if I connect the VCR output from the Sky box, most DVD recorders will come alive when Sky is activated?

Does this only happen when a program is chosen under the planner, or does it record everything when Sky is on?

Finally, does anyone know if Sky comes on automatically from Standby if a program in the planner is starting?

Thanks

Joolze

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

The omission of not being able to re-encode from hard-drive to DVD is unforgiveable. Most people will likely record to the hard-drive using the best quality due to the large amount of space and will only decide later if they want to keep a recording. Record anything over an hour and that is it, your chance to copy it to a +RW or +R is gone, unless you divide it and use up two discs, even then you will end up with wasted space due to fixed recording lengths. Just what are they thinking!

Essentially the only thing the hard-drive provides above the obvious increase in space is time-slipping (aka chase-playback), as +RW is incapable of doing this. There is no non-linear editing possibilities, no optimising quality, and little added flexibility for archiving, all the things a hard-drive should provide as standard!

The delay has probably done you a favour in considering some far better options out there.

Regards

Philip

5. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have been trawling these forums and digital spy with a very similar aim to the original poster. Having started out thinking a Philips of some sort was for me, and at one point "concluding" that the very machine identified was "it" I am now buying a Toshiba RDXS32B which I pick up from Richer Sounds next Wednesday. Read around and you will likely reach a similar conclusion on price, features, flexibility, etc.

I started out very sceptical about the +/- thing, and a bit concerned about the mental health of the "fan boys" for one side or the other, but have reached my conclusion about what will work for me, as I say, with a similar requirement, having spent more hours than is healthy searching.

Hope this helps!