1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD & HDD needed?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ps612328, Nov 22, 2003.

1. ps612328

ps612328

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I'm looking at buying a DVD recorder to both record Tv and back-up my camcorder/video recordings. I was wondering if, as I'm likely to be using this for a few years, I should purchase a DVD recorder with a HDD to keep me up to date as I don't want to be buying another HDD recorder in a few years.

Firstly, is it worth me buying a joint DVD and HDD recorder (the model I had in mind was the Toshiba RD-XS30) or should I just stick to a DVD recorder?

Secondly, the Tosh has great recommendations from all the mags but has no Ilink for my Canon MV500i camcorder. Is there any other way of recording to this model from my camcorder, or should I pick another DVD recorder/HDD that does have Ilink? (If this is the case, can you recomend any that go for under £600?)

Any advise or recommendations would be great.

Thanks.
    :smashin:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    HDD/DVDR combos are the future - if you can possibly afford one then buy one IMHO. Certainly if you want to make editted recordings that play on most other DVD players you need a HDD.

The Toshiba is a sofiscated machine but in your situation the Panasonic HS2 would be better. It is available for more or less than same price as the Toshiba. It has a smaller HDD (40GB instead of 60GB) but has a few extra features: iLink, RGB in etc.

3. ps612328

ps612328

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.
    The Panasonic was another one that I had in mind. I've seen it advertised for £533. Is that a good price?

4. andro

andro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick question...

Does anyone know if the Toshiba RD-xs30 has component connection and progressive scan built in?
    Thanks.

5. potplant

potplant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak

I have been following your comments on DVD/HDD recorders with interest and very useful it is too. Could you clarify the following for me.

I have NTL, the set top box has RGB out and I am persuaded that for quality reasons I should choose a DVD/HDD with RGB in. However if my interest is in saving films recorded on the HDD to DVD-R surely I lose the high quality of the original recording when I copy to DVD-R (in order to get it all on the disk). If so the benefit of RGB is restricted to viewing the original recording on the HDD.

Your words of wisdom would be much appreciated

6. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If you don't want to edit you don't need the HDD but of course you would need to press record at the right moment for TV recordings of course.

7. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    No. The quality will be the same as long as (for example) you copy over using the same recording setting.

So if you record in "best" mode then copy over in "best" mode.

Also the HS2 for example is useful for copying over at variable bit rate.

(Help me I can't remember the actual settings!)

For example say you record onto the HDD in SP mode (a film of 2 1/2 hours). You couldn't copy that over in SP mode because a DVD-R only takes 2 hours in that mode. The next "best" mode would be 3 hours. But you could copy the 2 1/2 hours over at VBR mode (better than 3 hours, not quite as good as 2 hours).

The HS2 really works well for that (even if I can't explain it that well)

8. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CLH is slightly inaccurate.
    The only way top quality would be kept is to view on th HDD,in XP.XP on dvd only offers 1 hour,so even at SP you lose a bit.DVD- has no 3 hour level,but this does not matter as Flexible Record allows you to pick the exact recording time,something DVD+ does not allow.If you plan to transfer from HDD to DVD-R,its only sensible to record on the HDD in XP,otherwise you are losing quality before you start.

9. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Andro
    No theTosh has neither Component nor progressive scan.

Panic

10. ps612328

ps612328

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like I'll go for the Panasonic HS2 then, but now I hear Panasonic have a newer model....the DMR-E100HS. This is over £200 more. Is it worth spending the extra money for a machine with a bigger HDD? Is 40gb not enough?
    I guess theres more to it than just hard disk size. What do you think?

11. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The E100 has a bigger drive,MPEG4 playback .I nearly replaced my HS2 for the high speed HDD-DVD-R dubbing,but the quality levels have to be the same.So you cannot do an XP HDD recording to dvd-r at high speed unless the dvd-r is set to XP aswell,which is only ah hour.Go for the HS2,at £549 its a bargain

12. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HS2 will be available in some proper retailers at £600 soon