DVD/HDD help needed please

Temp29

Standard Member
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so go easy on me please!

I need some help deciding what DVD/HDD or possibly blu-ray/hdd to buy.

These are my criteria.

Price - £300 or under
Freeview+
Pause live TV
DVD or Blu-ray playing capability
Ability to record onto hard drive

At the moment I have a 10-year-old Sony TV (it's not digital) but plan to upgrade soonish.

As I don't have a digital TV does this mean I'll need an analogue tuner in the player?

I'm not bothered about any frills DivX etc although I suppose it doesn't hurt to have them.

Basically I want to be able to play DVD's, record a few programmes (no mass storage needed) and have an easy system to use.

The one's I have shortlisted are the LG HR400 (not enough reviews yet to make a confident decision), the Panasonic DMR EX79 (not sure if it has Freeview+ and don't want the advertising thing), Sony RDR HXD995.

which one of these or any others would you guys recommend.

many thanks

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so go easy on me please!

I need some help deciding what DVD/HDD or possibly blu-ray/hdd to buy.

These are my criteria.

Price - £300 or under
Freeview+
Pause live TV
DVD or Blu-ray playing capability
Ability to record onto hard drive

At the moment I have a 10-year-old Sony TV (it's not digital) but plan to upgrade soonish.

As I don't have a digital TV does this mean I'll need an analogue tuner in the player?

I'm not bothered about any frills DivX etc although I suppose it doesn't hurt to have them.

Basically I want to be able to play DVD's, record a few programmes (no mass storage needed) and have an easy system to use.

The one's I have shortlisted are the LG HR400 (not enough reviews yet to make a confident decision), the Panasonic DMR EX79 (not sure if it has Freeview+ and don't want the advertising thing), Sony RDR HXD995.

which one of these or any others would you guys recommend.

many thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Here are some points to consider and take into your calculations:

There are no machines available that will do all the things you want.

It is not at all important what TV you have currently in regard of buying any digital receiving equipment... as long as it has a scart socket... and as long as you live in an area that you know can receive digital broadcasts.

Broadly speaking your requirements cut across three classes of equipment, and to fulfil your needs you may have to have more than one type. However they do not all need to be purchased at once.
The upgrade path can be gradual.

The three classes are:

1 - DVD recorders... which can be with or without hard discs.
These would allow you to play DVD discs too.
There are only a couple of units capable of playing Bluray discs and they are more than twice your budget ... and are based on the Freesat system - not Freeview.
DVDR's always have single digital tuners [ except those freesat units mentioned above]
Many DVDR's have a form of pause live TV.

2 - PVR's. These are hard disc based recorders. They nearly all have twin digital tuners and are simple to use.
They tend to have a better implementation of pause live TV than DVDRs.

3 - DVD or Bluray Players. These obviously have no recording facilities.

Given the above, it seems to me that the best path for you is to buy a Freeview PVR and perhaps add a disc player later [ DVD or bluray as req.]

As your current TV does not have a Digital tuner a PVR would provide the ability to record one channel whilst watching another which a single tuner DVDR would not. [ That would not be a problem after you have replaced your TV as it would have a digital tuner and therefore an alternative viewing source]

The EX79 does have Freeview + facilities.
The advertising on the EPG, although in principle an infuriating piece of nonsense, is no reason to reject what is one of the best machines on the market. In practice it is very easy to ignore.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom