DVD-HDD Copy

Kirkm

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'vea Pioneer DVR-720H-s and have never quite figured out the DVD-HDD copy facility.
I Realise it's all paranoia because of copy protection BUT, the manual suggests
a non-finalised Video mode disk can be copied to the HD (via Home Menu-Copy).

Is this correct, or not? I've tried several and the copy option on the menu doesn't kick in.

Thanks - Kirk

I think it is correct. Try the 'One Touch Copy' while the DVD is playing if you cant get copy lists to work.

One Touch Copy only records in real time. If you stop the recording before the end, the whole thing is automatically erased. It holds your hand too much. I wanna experiment!

It copies from HDD-DVD at high speed, perhaps the reverse is true too, if it can be coaxed into working.

Anyone got any more on this? One of things I'd like to do is run my 'Who Wants To be A Millionaire' dvd from the HD to save wear and tear on the disk. I own the disk, btw and have
made a protection-free copy that runs on the pc.

Thanks - Kirk

You can duplicate DVD on a PC faster than the DVD recorder. This is what I do with my original DVDs so children don't damage them.

I don't want to duplicate a DVD ! I want to copy it to the Pioneer DVDR.
Maybe I'm not phrasing my question properly, or no-one here understands me!

Is there somewhere else I can ask about this?

Thanks - Kirk

Basically, you want to copy the contents of a DVD disc onto the HDD of the Pioneer.

Don't know the machine, but with the Panasonic Recorders you can only copy the contents of thos discs recorded by the Panasonic Recorder back to the hard drive.

I've never used the feature except with DVD-RAM discs but I have a feeling it only works with DVD-VR discs not DVD-Video.

Hope thats of some use.

Hi Hal,

You're onto it - yes - copy a DVD to the Pioneer HD. Is this an unusual or difficult request?

I rang Pioneer in Australia who told me to initialise the disk first in the Pioneer in VR mode
and then burn it on the PC. The Pioneer would then read/cory it. Well, as soon as I burnt the disk (with Nero) it formatted it again, so I presume the VR stuff was gone.

The Pioneer manual says it will allow a copy list to be created from a non-finalized Video mode disk. I wonder what this means - is it to copy a series of VOBs and then play then all back without gaps?

There's so many variables here, I was really hoping someone in the Forum may have done this and know what the procedure is. Also, if it's really possible to read or write to a VR mode disk on the PC? Perhaps initialise it as Pioneer say, then 'Continue Session' on the pc so it isn't reformatted or finalized?

Thanks - Kirk

Hi Kirk

The files on DVD-VR discs are different to those on DVD-Video discs, VR discs don't have VOB files I believe.

I have an old copy of Sonic MyDVD which will write DVD+VR discs.

Just done a quick search, if you look HERE at Nero Vision's Features. It lists support for DVD-VR mode on DVD-RW discs.

Hope that helps a bit.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom