DVD HDD better with integrated freeview or without freeview???

alaniho

Established Member
Reaction score
i am looking to buy a DVD HDD recorder but am not sure whether to go for the Toshiba RD85DT or RD-XS24.

Although i currently have a Sagem freeview box i likethe idea of having DVD player/recorder/freeview all in one box (RD85). Also i can use the EPG to make easy digital recording.
But is it possible to record analogue tv on this (for example RTE, TV3 which r not freeview) if i want?

Alternatively is it possible to use the EPG from my Sagem to program the RD-XS24.

Or maybe someone can recommend a better option within my £250 budget.

cheers

ALaniho:lease:

alaniho said:
i am looking to buy a DVD HDD recorder but am not sure whether to go for the Toshiba RD85DT or RD-XS24.

If you want the best recorded pic quality go for the RD-XS24 as it has RGB input...the RD-85DT doesn't...it only has Composite video input (which is the lowest quality type of video input)...or S-Video (Which your Sagem doesn't output).
Your Sagem Freeview outputs RGB or Composite.

JayCee said:
If you want the best recorded pic quality go for the RD-XS24 as it has RGB input...

Are you sure?
I was offered a RD-XS24 as a replacement for my RD-XS32, but had to turn it down on the RGB issue (No RGB input on AV2) ( this information given to me by Comet Replacement Services and Toshiba UK.).
I then had to wait nearly 2 months for a Pioneer 440 as a replacement

knotpc said:
Are you sure?
I was offered a RD-XS24 as a replacement for my RD-XS32, but had to turn it down on the RGB issue (No RGB input on AV2) ( this information given to me by Comet Replacement Services and Toshiba UK.).

Apologies, you're quite correct...the RD-XS24B does NOT have RGB input.
I was under the impression it was only the RD-85 that didn't.
You learn something new everyday.

I've just come across a Grundig HDD/DVD recorder (GDR5530HDD) on the Grundig website. It says it has an inbuilt tv tuner. Would this mean it can receive freeview? It is only £179.99, so I suspect it doesn't. Anyone come across this machine?

MICK WATTAM said:
I've just come across a Grundig HDD/DVD recorder (GDR5530HDD) on the Grundig website. It says it has an inbuilt tv tuner. Would this mean it can receive freeview?

You would need to see if it states whether it's a Digital (in which case it will) or Analogue (it won't) tuner.

alaniho said:
Or maybe someone can recommend a better option within my £250 budget.
*Do you need RGB Input? i.e - Are you planning to record from Sky or Cable? If not then definitely the 85.
* Does your TV only have 1 RGB Scart and no HDMI or Component input? If not then definitely the 85.
* Do you like recording something and watching something else? If so then definitely the 85.

In just 2-3 years time that lovely analogue tuner in the majority of AV equipment from the past 50 years will be as useful as a demented hedgehog. In other words it's completely crazy to buy a Recorder without Freeview.

Even if you have Sky I bet you record off Sky and watch analogue from time to time. Sure some can't pick Freeview up but come Analogue switch off they say 97.5% of the UK population will be able to to, so think ahead.

It surprises me virtually no one is thinking of the future when buying new equipment. Do you want your new sparkly AV equipment to be out of date in only 2-3 years? IMO those cheap DVD Recorders with only an Analogue tuner aren't worth the hardware they made with.

Sure you can get around the issue of only 1 tuner (remember most people have 2 - TV and VCR, both will not work in 2-3 years time) by buying a second Freeview box and yes this is cheaper BUT do you really want TWO Freeview boxes. I sure don't.

Personally I have a Pioneer 540 with Freeview which I use 90% of the time but when recording I take my Freeview box out of standby and use that (as I only ever use it for watching now it goes direct into my TV). The quality is not reduced whatsoever by looping through my Recorder before it gets to my Freeview box.

So in short yes the Toshiba 85 has it's failings (but then so do all Recorders) but for £250 it's by far the cheapest on the market (£259 from rgbdirect.co.uk MR too).

MICK WATTAM said:
I've just come across a Grundig HDD/DVD recorder (GDR5530HDD) on the Grundig website. It says it has an inbuilt tv tuner. Would this mean it can receive freeview? It is only £179.99, so I suspect it doesn't. Anyone come across this machine?
A good rule of thumb: If it doesn't specifically say Freeview or Digitial tuner (or some variant) then assume no.

That said as it's Grundig it's possible, Wharfedale do one for £199.99 BUT frankly for the price of the Toshiba (another £79) why get a cheap/crud make?

JayCee said:
Apologies, you're quite correct...the RD-XS24B does NOT have RGB input.
I was under the impression it was only the RD-85 that didn't.
This is only an issue if you are a Sky or Cable subscriber. If you have Freeview I can't think of a reason you're ever going to need RGB Input. It's not like you're ever going to plug a Freeview box into it :D

The thing is to get RGB Input you need to pay at least another £50 for a Pioneer, Panasonic or Sony. So it's definitely worth thinking do you need RGB Input (i.e - Sky/Cable)

Guys,
I have had all sorts of problems with the Toshiba RD85-DTSB
When switched on the machine eats the signal to the TV so much that it is not possible to either watch TV or record
It has been back to them for investigation and no fault found
Has anyone got any ideas?
Cheers,
Marc

mharries said:
Guys,
I have had all sorts of problems with the Toshiba RD85-DTSB
When switched on the machine eats the signal to the TV so much that it is not possible to either watch TV or record
It has been back to them for investigation and no fault found
Has anyone got any ideas?
Cheers,
Marc

How do you have your aerial connected to both devices?
Please describe the uhf route.
And is it analogue or digital signal...or both, that is 'eaten'

folks

thanks for the responses, but can the RD-85 record analogue TV, even though it has a built in digital tuner???
I don't have and don't plan to get sky or cable and my 32wl56s screen does have HDMI and scart (but frustratingly no component !!! for my prog scan DVD player).

Call me cheap...but would buying a twin tuner PVR like the DIGIhome 80gb in Argos at £99.99 and then buying a DVD recorder like the philips DVDR3305(without Hard disc) at £120 for archiving be a good combination to replace 1 DVD /Hard disc recorder and a freeview box???

the main advantages of this would be;
1/ to record and watch freeview at the same time
2/ to record analogue to DVD if i want
3/ loads of connections for expansion
4/ archive my digital stuff to the philips 3305
5/ this combination would still be cheaper than the Tosh RD-85 or similar machine...

am i a genius.............or going way wrong!!! perhaps my recorded quality would be rubbish ?????!!!

please comment :thumbsup:

alaniho

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom